Has Anyone Tried Splitting Up A Filter???

need2ball

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Does anyone know if there would be any problems with splitting a filter up to different tanks? Say I have an Ehiem Pro 3 which has two inlets, could I put one inlet in two different tanks and attach a splitter to the outlet to go into the different tanks. Or if one was to use say a Fluval FX6, could you split up the inlets and outlets to 4 different tanks?

I know about the risks of disease and stuff like that but is there any reason besides that not to make a set up like this?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
A canister filter is only designed to work under pressure with a constant drain. Unless the flow rates through the splitter are exact, you going to wind up with a low tank level and a tank overflow. If both tanks are plumbed together with a passive-leveling pipe joiner, or an old-HOB U-tube, it could work. Otherwise, use a standard wet/dry filter where the drains are not pressurized (gravity drains) to maintain proper levels in both tanks.

Whatever set-up you decide on, disease transfer can be reduced with a proper water/light-contact time UV sterilizer, proper quarantine methods, and proper tank maintenance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store