Make or Buy Centerpiece?

Cloudk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2010
Swimming in a mountain river
So need some help... I'm planning my 450gal turtle tank. It's square so I'd like to put a stump with roots spreading out across the bottom of the tank. That will double as a basking platform and something that fish will swim around. I'm doubting I'll find the perfect stump in nature, so how much would it cost to have a fish-safe stump made for or by me? The tank is 6'x6'x20". So it'd need to stick out of the water, yet somehow allow turtles to crawl on it, and at least a few "roots" I'd like to reach the edge of the tank. Possible to do or am I dreaming too big? Thanks!

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
i think the real thing will always look better.

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
I would just go find one. I'm sure you get make one or get one built, but I don't think it would look as good, and would either be hard and time consuming to make, or really expensive to buy.

The wood looks a lot smaller in nature, and looks a lot bigger in the aquarium. I went to a local lake and was easily able to find several pieces of wood to fit my tank. My tank is only 18" from front to back, and it was surprisingly hard to find good wood pieces that would fit. Most good looking pieces were quite a bit bigger. Make sure to have detailed measurements, and bring a good way of cutting the wood (chainsaw, reciprocating saw, etc). A size big enough to be your center piece will probably be pretty heavy, like 100lbs.

My tank is 84"x18"x18", so quite a bit smaller than your tank, but you get the idea. Left picture is when I laid out and cut the wood to fit to be the centerpieces. I also made a concrete/foam background that I designed around the wood. Finished product on the right.

IMG_1347.JPG11-23Cropped.png

IMG_1347.JPG

11-23Cropped.png

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store