Drilling new tank/Filtration help

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
I will be getting a new 220 and I'm going to drill overflows in the side due to space restrictions. I'm debating between 1" and 1.5" bulkheads and how many I should drill and what kind of sump I should set up. Any advice would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
Depends on what you plan on doing with the tank, what style of overflow, turn over rate, what is going to be in the tank.
I can give you some suggestions if I knew own some more details

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
Depends on what you plan on doing with the tank, what style of overflow, turn over rate, what is going to be in the tank.
I can give you some suggestions if I knew own some more details
It's going to be a durso set up. The tank is going to have Odoe pikes, Tiger fish and possibly rays. I'm shooting for around 10x turnover.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Since you are going with 10 x per hour turnover, that's at least a 2800+ gph pump.
If it were me I'd go with the larger 1.5" PVC just to be safe, and I'd drill minimum 2.
Tiger fish are rapids dwellers when mature, and spend plenty of time in the counter current zone, as they grow you might want to upgrade to a stronger flow, so going larger right away might save hassle in the future.

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
Since you are going with 10 x per hour turnover, that's at least a 2800+ gph pump.
If it were me I'd go with the larger 1.5" PVC just to be safe, and I'd drill minimum 2.
Tiger fish are rapids dwellers when mature, and spend plenty of time in the counter current zone, as they grow you might want to upgrade to a stronger flow, so going larger right away might save hassle in the future.
Thank you. I was leaning towards 3 1.5" drains and 1 1.5" return for a higher pressure in the one return. I planned on adding a vortech power head down the line once the atf mature for added flow. What do you think is the best sump system for this setup? I have a wet/dry on my 300 and it seems to work fine, just takes a lot of media to fill. I'm looking for efficiency and quietness from my sump

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
When I saw Tiger fish, I was thinking ATF (the big toothy African rapids fish), but now realize from your avatar, you may have been suggesting a datnoid type, which would change things drastically.
Sorry if I misinterpreted.
As to wet dry, or some other.
This is a judgement call, I have some wet dry, and also more submerged type media, and see no difference.
My preference is to use filter socks for mechanical, that are rinsed often, water then passes over a column of media (lava rock, rings, whatever...they are all just substrate for bacteria to grow on) then the sump, simply a box that holds the pump, heater (no mystery, just a box that holds water),
I like my sumps to be wet, filled as far as I can go, but won't overflow in a power outage.
I also think the sump should be about access, if its easy to pull pumps, and other stuff out for maintenance, then it will be done.
here's my bio-column, 4ft high 8" diameter, filled with, lava rock and a scrubbie to collect debris.
I rinse the scrubbie at least every other day

The column sits in a 75 gallon sump for heaters, pump, biowheels, filter socks, etc

My point is to show, the simplicity of, and that a sump is whatever you choose it to be.
I also have some sumps that use only only plants for filtration

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
You were correct initially, it will be african tiger fish. That's the reason I was aiming for 10x turnover. I'll probably stick to some form of a wet/dry since that's what I'm most familiar with. Appreciate all the help

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store