what would i be getting into with a gulper cat??

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
So for a while my wife has been on my case to sort out her tank, i seem to have been filling all our tanks with cichlids :ROFL:, well now I have her interest in the tanks again when she brought a BP and made a statement that one of the tanks will be hers so who am i to argue.

any way i know she has a soft spot for wired and wonderful things so i was floating round on here and she was reading over my shoulder and seen a video of a gulper cat and she is hooked. she hasn't stopped asking me questions. anyway i have a couple of options to move things around and make room or even set up another tank but before all that happens i need more info.

all this depends on finding a youngster to grow out.

i have read through care sheets on line but would like to hear from keepers. things like tank sizes, decore, growth rate, and feeding . i think it would just be the one gulper with maybe a few dither fish in there (until they disappear).

anyway thanks in advance.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Not wanting to speak much from what I've read, I'd rather actual keepers answer - there are plenty here... but gulpers are a bit of specialty. Very sedentary. Dramatic eaters. Can be quite picky to water (best is black, acidic water).

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
i think the plan to get one is long term,it something im not wonting to rush into lol.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

REDTAIL1928

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
A garbage compacter with gills!! Lol!!

Sent from my SGH-M819N using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aquaculture Tyler

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2013
Alamosa Colorado
So for a while my wife has been on my case to sort out her tank, i seem to have been filling all our tanks with cichlids :ROFL:, well now I have her interest in the tanks again when she brought a BP and made a statement that one of the tanks will be hers so who am i to argue.

any way i know she has a soft spot for wired and wonderful things so i was floating round on here and she was reading over my shoulder and seen a video of a gulper cat and she is hooked. she hasn't stopped asking me questions. anyway i have a couple of options to move things around and make room or even set up another tank but before all that happens i need more info.

all this depends on finding a youngster to grow out.

i have read through care sheets on line but would like to hear from keepers. things like tank sizes, decore, growth rate, and feeding . i think it would just be the one gulper with maybe a few dither fish in there (until they disappear).

anyway thanks in advance.
11070436_820664171351298_7284064032489235296_n.jpg

here is my gulper named Albert he started off in a 55 then he was moved to a 75 for awhile but then got moved back to the 55. Hes been kept alone since i've gotten him. His growth rate has been pretty slow. Hes really cool every time my hand goes into the tank he will come up to my hand thinking its feeding time.

11070436_820664171351298_7284064032489235296_n.jpg

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
I've got 3 at 2.5-3" long. Bought them when they were 1.5"+/- . Will eat anything meaty, including your other fish that are 2x as big. Water parameters just need to be neutral to slightly acidic. Mine are at 6.7 ph. I do frequent water changes. Mine are by themselves except for a peacock bass. Great fish that really like current. Mine swim constantly.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Interesting. Most reports I've come across complain of their immobility and "laziness". Do yours have to swim to stay in place or they choose to swim?

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
This isn't my fish or video but this is probably an accurate depiction of what COULD happen. I don't believe it's a responsible thing to do feeding it something that size but I'll leave it up to the experts.
[YT]AkbZdlVNtX8[/YT]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store