Help - I want to build a fish tank

ArtMustel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2015
United States
Hello everyone! I live in an small town where the only place that sells aquariums is a local Walmart which doesn't stock anything over 20 gallons. So I want to give a try and build my 60 US gallon tank for which I would need to buy the cut glass. If I want my tank approx. 48" long and 13" deep, how much the height would need to be? Ideally, the kind of help I will appreciate is if you tell me exactly the dimensions of the 5 pieces of glass: front, bottom, back and the 2 sides. This is all confusing to me, have watched many youtube videos and all them are helpful but none of them shows anything about measures. Please help! Besides dimensions of the 5 pieces of glass i also need to know if this size of tank needs to be braced on top, and very important, which glass thickness I need for this project. Pointing me to online calculators won't help since I've seen several and I am totally lost. Thanks for your help!

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn

ArtMustel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2015
United States
I appreciate your concern but i wanted measures, and answers to a couple of questions. So i don't have another option that building my tank, and i will not start building an smaller one because i already have several of them. I am just not good with math, tables, conversions so i just wanted someone who tells me the measures and thickness of the 5 rectangles of glass that I need to have cut and if i need to brace them on top. If no one wants to do this for me, it is ok, if someone does i will appreciate it but please skip comments like "over my head", etc. If there was a chance that someone built if for me i wouldn't be asking for help, and of course if i could buy it online I would have done it already but no one ships glass tanks.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
I really dont see how you are confused when several of the calculators online tell you the exact things you asked us. Many will tell you exactly what size the glass needs to be cut and the thickness you need.

And sorry for recommending you start smaller. Really didn't want to see one of your pets or children killed because you built a tank improperly.

And for the record, there are many places that ship glass tanks.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
You do know about WalMart's delivery practices? You can order up to a 300 gal Clear for Life (built-in W/D filtration) setup with free store pickup or home delivery for only $39.99.

View attachment 1064872

ArtMustel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2015
United States
Ahhh...the drama element! Thanks for your concern. i promise i won't kill any living creature.

And for the record too, I have not found any place that ships other than acrylic tanks or smaller glass ones.

I am sorry I asked for help on this forum, thought it was going to be an easy one for the experts.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store