bumblebee catfish

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
well I went in a shop last week and saw a couple of SA bumblebee cats and they look so cool i figured it would be a perfect addition to my daughters tank, well once I get it home for now its in my holding tank (work away from home so can cover more LFS lol)

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
cheers for the advice, i'm going to be setting him up on his own for now maybe add a few equal sized fish (that i dont mind loosing) once he is settled. just need a bit of advice on what sub strait to put in with him, sand or gravel??

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
First, we need to know the ID. I don't think yours is a bufonis (but the info in that thread is relevant still) but rather or perhaps a Batrochoglanis raninus: http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=721

This PCF datasheet states extremely large distribution. Hence, I don't think that the substrate really matters, although I'd probably go with sand or none.

FishBase: http://www.fishbase.org/summary/batrochoglanis-raninus.html says "Commonly occurs in creeks as well as in rivers (Ref. 27188). Found in very shady and deep zones of rivers where the current is slow, the bottom is shady and the gravel is covered with plant debris. During the day, it lies hidden under branches or rocks. It goes stalk-hunting, swallowing prey within its range. Starts feeding on micro-crustaceans and aquatic insect larvae, then shifts it diet to fishes of notable size (Ref. 35381)."

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
label on the tank says Microglanis sp. which means it should only be around 2" but its that size already lol, and tbh i think you guys are better at this than most of the shops. the pics on planet cat fish look more like it than any i have seen by using google

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I am no expert either by any means. FWIW, the body shape, esp. the head, look Batrochoglanis to my eye. Definitely not the most common SA bumblebee catfish microglanis iheringi, albeit I am not so sure about Microglanis cottoides, the second most common Microglanis it appears.

You might want to call this to the attention of Yellowcat. He is an expert hobbyist in Pseudopimelodidae family.

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
i think your right it looks more Batrochoglanis

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I love bumblebee cats, they look very attractive in tanks; unfortunately hiding a lot as expected. Very, very predatory, was surprised how many fish I lost considering how small my cats were

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
First, we need to know the ID. I don't think yours is a bufonis (but the info in that thread is relevant still) but rather or perhaps a Batrochoglanis raninus: http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=721
When I first saw the pic I immediately thought Raninus and believe of your suggestions Raninus is easily the best. You're absolutely right though on them being very similar to Bufonius. Before Bufonius started being imported more regularly Raninus was one of the most likely members of psuedopimelodidae to be run into, right behind Iheringi. Unfortunately though for what ever reason they've become less readily available for some time now at least in my experience. Just like Bufonius these guys are like little cephalosilurus amazing ambush predators. Their jaws can close with considerable force more then enough to ensure that none but the biggest of prey has a chance of escaping and their gut can easily stretch to accommodate large prey. I'd personally be very wary about keeping them with fish their own size or smaller because at night these guys become brazen and can easily take out a sleeping fish.

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
good to note, so larger tank mates a must, so now to setting up a tank for it once its ready to move out of holding.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store