LEAK !!!

qguy

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Vancouver. Canada
I just setup my 250g and my return pipe has a leak. The leak is coming from the threads of the PVC 1 inch connector to a BRASS check valve. (I know the threads are not the same) I added teflon tape but I still get a squirt of water like an injection coming out. What glue can can I use to seal the leak, I can no longer undue the connections as its stuck. I do not have access to a PVC check valve. My only option right now is to seal it with a glue, i just need suggestion on what glue to use on brass and pvc

Thanks

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Sounds like it all went sideways trying to match up different thread pitches. Of course, I'm going to recommend replacing the entire mis-matched assembly with proper parts. Until then, though, you can try externally sealing the leak with a 2-part epoxy putty. There are aquarium-safe products available:

PCMarine-1.jpg

aquascape-DD.png

207675.jpg

Just allow the full curing time before using (especially under pressure) and the cured epoxy will be inert in your system.

PCMarine-1.jpg

aquascape-DD.png

207675.jpg

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
If you cant get one with proper threads my only suggestion is rtv. I use it on a ton of things and it always holds. Make sure the surface is dry and will be dry for around 24 hours just to let it cure. Then you can test it. Just put a nice thick layer around the whole thing and smooth it out. Make sure there are no holes in the rtv and you should be fine. Also scuff up and clean both the brass and pvc to give it something to grab.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
If the pressure is too great for the epoxy patch to hold, a quick patch (aka Navy battle patch) may work. Wrap the leaky seam with a strip of rubber at least a 1/2" wide and long enough to wrap the pipe fully. Place a hose clamp over the rubber and tighten down snugly. This patch should last for quite a long while.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with Oddball about the patch.
I have always found brass and PVC to leak a bit, they never quite match up perfectly.
There are PVC check valves that would match up much better.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Yes, use oddballs advice, i forgot about that stuff. ive used it in emergency situations a couple of times.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Using a similar method to what oddball mentioned I rigged up the power steering return line in my car when the steel line ruptured. It held for over a year before i got around to bending new line.

Even an old bike inner tube cut up would work.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

robert511

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2013
orange county ca
Listen to oddball and you will be fine in till you can get the right parts and make it right

Sent from my SM-N900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store