My stingray died, I don't know why and I feel like complete garbage.. PLEASE HELP

Mihajlo525

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2015
Canada
Today is possibly the worst day of my life :cry::cry::cry:... My hands down favourite fish died today and looked like he went out painfully. I HAD a 5" wide reticulated male stingray in my 120 gallon and he was doing WONDERFULLY for 2 months straight, he ate extremely well, looked healthy and was very social. Hell, even today he looked perfectly fine and ate some blackworms right out of my hand. But about 5 hours after feeding him he finally passed after what looked like a seizure. He started to panic and he started darting up and down the glass and would sometimes just float on the surface and I'd have to help him down. I thought the water was too hot so I did a 20% water change and added some 7.0 PH stabilizer to help him out. I kept my tank at a constant 88 degrees for the past week and my stingray couldn't have cared less. So anyways after I did the water changes he finally calmed down after I detached his stinger from my net (had to use the net since he tried stabbing me, he's never done that before! he actually managed to nick me with it) So for a while he stayed motionless on the bottom breathing heavily...until he finally stopped, he stopped breathing and had spasms in his tail and mouth were vibrating alot. I tried reviving him by moving him above the air pump, until he finally died and the pain was gone when he stopped moving all together and he was dead.... I'm not going to lie I bawled my eyes out, this was a $100 fish that I saved up a few months for, not only that but he was very social and would race to my hands and climb all over them looking for food since he was hand fed. I really want to know how he died. From my investigation I ruled out water parameters since i have 240 gallons of filtration, do 20% weekly water changes as well as vacuuming substrate in the process, and add aquarium salt when needed. I even added aquarium salt a few days before this. I'm also ruling out my tankmates since he had absolutely no injuries or body deformations while this was happening. FYI my other tankmates are a 13" oscar, two 7" goldfish, a 10" bullhead catfish (getting rid of soon), 12" pleco, and a 7" Kelberi peacock bass. None of these fish EVER touched or nipped at him EVER if anything he was non-existent to the other fish. Right now I'm assuming it was the black worms I fed him. I ordered in some black worms from the LFS I bought him at, a LFS I know keeps their fish healthy. So anyways I bought a bunch for $20. But even then I change the water everyday while putting in NO chlorine, I take out the dead ones, and keep them in a fridge. But upon further inspection I found what looked to be leaches. They were shorter, flatter, much wider, and white compared to the black worms and I found about 3 of em. Could it have been the leaches that killed him? It seems as if he was specifically poisoned because my other fish were completely normal also because of the sudden death and spasms he was having because he looked like he was really stressed out. PLEASE PLEASE GIVE ME CLOSURE ON THIS AND TELL ME HOW HE DIED :(:(:cry::cry: And anything I can do in the future to avoid this :(

D.Wolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
First of all, you have a great mixup in 120g..avoid having aggressive cichlids and plecos with rays (possible damage and worst case death of ray) and goldfish is cold water specie (arent suitable even as feeders)..filtration you said you have 240g (on 120g tank?) - can you explain further? Canister declared to handle 240g tanks? Leaches could possibly killed it but if you said it had seizure..i would bet that parasites came from intestines to brains and made that "shortcut"..seen similar thing with discuses - all healthy and feeding without prob and then literally over night all started slamming into walls without reason until they broke their spine and died..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

brutonsbrew

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2010
hampton
I would definitely look at water parameters that a lot of sloppy eating fish for 125 gallons and would agree with above on possible parasite with quick change in health. Please massively cut stock before trying again with rays and more research on Ray requirements.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Where is a picture of the ray for better results to this? Even if you have a picture from 3-5 days ago. Post a pic and say how old it is. A picture can always help a lot.

Mihajlo525

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2015
Canada
First of all, you have a great mixup in 120g..avoid having aggressive cichlids and plecos with rays (possible damage and worst case death of ray) and goldfish is cold water specie (arent suitable even as feeders)..filtration you said you have 240g (on 120g tank?) - can you explain further? Canister declared to handle 240g tanks? Leaches could possibly killed it but if you said it had seizure..i would bet that parasites came from intestines to brains and made that "shortcut"..seen similar thing with discuses - all healthy and feeding without prob and then literally over night all started slamming into walls without reason until they broke their spine and died..

I always feed my pleco with algae strips and he always has plenty of algae to eat, as well as his own 16" long peice of drift wood he sticks to. I've also never seen the pleco come in any sort of contact with the ray and I always keep a close eye on all my fish since my aquarium's right in my bedroom. And again, the ray had NO body deformations of ANY kind and no injuries as well as my large cichlids never paid any attention to him or any other fish in the aquarium. Hell, even my kelberi and oscar get along well... I've also had these goldfish in this tank for YEARS and the only reason they're there is because I need a place to put them over winter since they go in my 7ft wide fountain for 6 months of the year. So tank mates are out of the question. I did mention it looked as if it had a seizure but i have no knowledge on how stingray seizures look. He was freaking out, finally calmed down to the bottom while breathing heavily, stopped breathing and had muscle spasms in his tail and mouth, then died. What I mean by 240 gallons of filtration is I have two 70 gallon rated top filters and a 100 gallon rated canister. Maybe the a leach could have stressed him out so much he broke his back? Thanks for your input otherwise!

Mihajlo525

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2015
Canada

I always feed my pleco with algae strips and he always has plenty of algae to eat, as well as his own 16" long peice of drift wood he sticks to. I've also never seen the pleco come in any sort of contact with the ray and I always keep a close eye on all my fish since my aquarium's right in my bedroom. And again, the ray had NO body deformations of ANY kind and no injuries as well as my large cichlids never paid any attention to him or any other fish in the aquarium. Hell, even my kelberi and oscar get along well... I've also had these goldfish in this tank for YEARS and the only reason they're there is because I need a place to put them over winter since they go in my 7ft wide fountain for 6 months of the year. So tank mates are out of the question. I did mention it looked as if it had a seizure but i have no knowledge on how stingray seizures look. He was freaking out, finally calmed down to the bottom while breathing heavily, stopped breathing and had muscle spasms in his tail and mouth, then died. What I mean by 240 gallons of filtration is I have two 70 gallon rated top filters and a 100 gallon rated canister. Maybe the a leach could have stressed him out so much he broke his back? Thanks for your input otherwise!

Mihajlo525

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2015
Canada
Where is a picture of the ray for better results to this? Even if you have a picture from 3-5 days ago. Post a pic and say how old it is. A picture can always help a lot.
Here's a video of him eating black worms straight out of my hand LITERALLY the day before he died if it helps It was taken March 15th 10:04PM
[video=youtube;3KrgnSbntYs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KrgnSbntYs[/video]

REDTAIL1928

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
I think u had a fish that just wasnt perfectly healthy, and what I mean is that just like humans and dogs , etc. Some of us or them die as babies for no great reason. Just one day, we or its dead. It could be an internal issue or a genetic issue. He could have had a health issue that wasnt apparent until u found it deceased. Its unfortunate but it can happen. Ive seen fish perfectly healthy one day and the next be dead. It SUX alot but thats life I guess. A way of population control. U say it didn't have any visual health issues or damage from any tankmates so there's no real answer. Like others said, ur temp is a little high and if u dont have a good amount of O2 in the water, the total O2 saturation would be low and rays love high oxygen levels so that could be an issue as well. Also they have a very big appetite so if u dont feed them quite a bit, they will suffer and die from slow starvation so it could have been one of a few reasons. Im sorry for ur loss, been there too. Good luck in the future bud,

Sent from my SGH-M819N using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store