Piranha bit me! [slightly graphic pics]

d3r

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2013
Detroit, MI (motor city)
ive owned my redbellies for quite a while now. 8 of them sizes 7-10" housed with a 12" pleco.
unlike most reds..mine are bold, brave and aggressive.

im very cautious when cleaning the tank but they finally got me! they will attack my hand when it enters the tank thinking its food so in order to clean the tank i have to lower my hand in and quickly pull it out so they see its not food.

i do this several times til they snap out of their "frenzy" state thinking its feeding time.

they eventually calm down and dont pay my hand/arm any attention and i go on cleaning the tank.
it was a routine w/c day up til the point of feeding the pleco.

Sometimes i feed the pleco algae tabs and in order to do this i have to physically stash them under the drift wood otherwise the piranha will eat them first.
nothing unusual...reach in with the tabs and begin tossing them under the wood. i notice a 7" red stop and stare.

i KNEW it was going to be trouble but i only had one more tab to put in place so i tried to do that before the piranha got too close.
i wasnt fast enough and he grabbed on to my thumb leaving a jagged slice down the center and several punctures on top.

luckily it was one of the smaller ones or it could have been much worse!
it was also a "defensive bite" not an "offensive bite" so that was also a good thing.

gotta be more careful and patient i suppose!

20150308_143338.jpg

20150308_144022.jpg

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
Damn bro I've seen you in the p section for forever. You've had a nice run if you've been sticking your hand that far in the tank on the regular. I started using an eggcrate divider. They got too bold for my taste

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
That is one of my concerns but it has not happened...... yet. I usually feed mine before I spend much time with my hand in the tank. If agitation gets too high I take a break. Also, now that the little cannibals have reduced the population to one it is not hard to keep an eye on it.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
tetanus shot up to date?

This is what those piranhas are thinking now about your hand: "If it bleeds, we can eat it!"

d3r

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2013
Detroit, MI (motor city)
Yep balln.. ive had a good run hahah I may fall back on the egg crate method as well. But I look at it this way.. cops have to get pepper sprayed in training to see what its like incase it happens...its only right a piranha keeper gets bit once to see what its like hahah and ill tell you this: it !#@$'n hurt. LOL

chaz..most people will tell you they wont bite you unless youre harassing them.. dont believe it..even the most skittish red can have its day.

n yep no tetanus for me! But that's what im thinking too! This happened a few days ago.. I havent cleaned the tank yet since..but im hoping they dont interpret my fingers as food now instead of a predator.

souzie

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Ouch!!!

I've never been weary of water changes until now. :uhoh:

Prior to my p's, I owned the sweetest FH that would swim around my arm and head butt my hand when it was in the tank.

Now when I do water changes, I make sure I have my eye on them at all times. They usually cower by the driftwood and when I'm cleaning there, they make a mad dash for the other side of the tank. They're still babies though...I've had them a little over a month now but I'm hoping it'll stay that way in the future...

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
I didn't know souzie had Ps

Yeah, fall back on the egg crates. I know you've seen how fast they dart across a tank. There's nothing we could do even if we're watching them. they're just too fast for you to react. I've seen them dart through the side of my egg crate but that atleast gave me time to move my hands out

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store