Frontosa with Severums?

CretaceousCreatures101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2015
Oakland County, Michigan
I already made this post on the wrong forum so I'm re-posting it. I'm setting up a 220 gallon tank and I plan to house sevs, a convict, blood parrots, a blue acara, geos, rainbow cichlids, sajica, hdrp, flag cichlid, and possibly a chocolate cichlid. I was wondering if a frontosa would be too aggressive for this tank? I had one in the past but she became very aggressive toward any fish her size or smaller once I had her for a while.

Busterny

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2015
Rochester, NY
I have 4 fronts mixed in with an assortment of Severums and geo's. Even though the fronts are larger, there is no aggression.

CretaceousCreatures101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2015
Oakland County, Michigan
No offense, but it's like keeping a penguin, an ostrich and a chicken in the same cage. They probably won't kill each other, but why?
.... ?

Not really sure what you're getting at. Was it that ridiculous of a question? I like the way frontosas look and thought they would compliment the tank, I was just curious. That's why I asked before going out and buying four Fronts and throwing them in a tank.

peathenster

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2008
Georgia, US
.... ?

Not really sure what you're getting at. Was it that ridiculous of a question? I like the way frontosas look and thought they would compliment the tank, I was just curious. That's why I asked before going out and buying four Fronts and throwing them in a tank.
It's not ridiculous at all. I meant to say mixing species from several continents with different (water parameter) needs may not be ideal.

kiupuriash

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
paramount
No offense, but it's like keeping a penguin, an ostrich and a chicken in the same cage. They probably won't kill each other, but why?

I totally agree, same reason i run two different set ups, one for africans another for new world (SA) to be specific. I dont like mixing CA and SA. But to each their own.
Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

f22

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Hey man, odds are whatever fish you get will not be wild caught. That being said I wouldn't worry about mixing. Most farms that commercially breed fish raise em in a ph of 7.4-7.8 (the range of most people's tap water) so if you get a reasonable ph reading you'll be fine as far as water parameters.

As far as keeping these fish together:
I think you'll be quite fine. None of the species you mentioned are blisteringly aggressive, that paired with the relative slow growth rate on these fish leads me to think you can safely make this mix.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
The whole mixing different species from different continents due to water parameters is a tired question. These are very rarely wild fish and thrive in your regular old tap water. It's a question of personal taste and if the OP enjoys these species together and they are compatible then why not? Yes they will work together though like posted above fronts do enjoy being in a group and will be less skittish if you get a small group of them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store