ge silicone 1 bonding aquaterra background to tank

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Hey guys. I'm picking up some silicone today to bond my 3d background and to the back of my tank when it arrives on Saturday

Is ge silicone 1 strong enough to do the job? How much should I use? I have a strong tendency to overdo things, but I don't want to increase my cure time by too long. Any advice?

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
How much is enough to hold it in there? I was thinking I would outline each piece (slimline mesa) with a box and then draw a thick "X" through the center.

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
Are you planing on completely sealing the background so no water gets behind it? If that's the case I would line the tank with silicone (where the background will be) then do the same on the background. Enough that when you squish it, it will make about 1/4 to 3/8 of a seal

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
That's the plan. Appreciate the tip. Anyone have any idea how long the cure time is?

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
Better to have too much than too little.

It also depends on the 3d background.., on my foam/concrete background I had a hard time keeping the background secured, but that's because it was~ 4" thick of foam which is very buoyant.

If you have a commercial 3d background made from some sort of resin than you should be fine with a normal bead of silicone around the edges.

Cure time is 24 hours, but if the silicone is more than 1/4" thick or so, the cure time is more like 3 days.

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
I used GE II silicone with good results, holding my background for about a year. I've heard GE I is basically the same stuff for our purposes.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
uploadfromtaptalk1426650508047.jpg
This is the back of my 90g. Solid slate. Ge1. I used an adequate amount but didn't go crazy from what you can see.

Holds just fine.

I have a 75g with a similar background thats going on 4 years without a single slate piece falling out.

You'll be fine

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store