flow rate through sump?

JONNY CICHLA

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2008
England""
Iv just setup a 5ft by 30 by 30inch tank with a sump 4ft by 20 by 20ich! Whot id like to know is! whots the best water flow rate to put through sump for media to work best?

iv got alfra grog(rock) and filter wool sheets! and last section a bag of carbon!

im running a Eheim compact 2000 pump on sump! its 1000-2000lph

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
General rule of thumb is 10x turnover per hour. Usually 5-8x per hour is good enough to have adequate circulation in the display.

It all depends what size your drains are. Most people are limited to what's factory drilled in a reef ready tank. On a larger custom tank you probably have more options for a higher flow

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
You're not necessarily going to have better bio filtration by turning a huge amount of water through the sump - the faster it moves through there the less time it spends contacting your bio media... but there's more water. .. it's really kind of a horse a piece. Slower flows work more efficiently. But it doesn't really matter much imo.

The only thing to gain by a high turnover rate is better circulation and better mechanical filtration/water polishing.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Malte81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2014
Germany
In Germany the most peoples are saying 2 max 3 x turnover per hour trough your sump because the bakterias can do their work better with slow flow.
In my sump 10x turnover would be a pump with 14000 liter per hour.
Some people are using this for a pond.
I think it would be totaly oversized.
2-4 times per hour turnover and you are fine.
If your tank is to long and the current is not strong enough use powerheads.

Malte81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2014
Germany
The powerheads are only necessary in very big tanks that you have good water movement and no dead spots.
With the turnover rate i posted you should be fine especially in terms of bio filtration.
You will save alot of money because pumps with more power are expensive and you have a very high wattage.
I builded a sump next to my tank at the same high.
You lose no pump power and nothing can go wrong with the water coming over the edge of the sump.
I have two pipes with 5 cm diameter as overflow and a pump with 6000 liter per hour for the return pipe.
When i would use a bigger pump i definatly have to use bigger pipes for the overflow.
I have the new jabeo dct 6000 great pump and low wattage.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store