Ac110's vs fx6

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Discussion came up on another site. I think that 3 ac110's would be better than the fx6 . In both price and functionality. What do you guys think. I have an fx6, various ac's, and a 2262. Least fav is the fx6

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I think 3 of anything is better than 1 of something. For the sake of cleaning and reliability.

I read an article about how the fx is deceptively large and doesn't hold much more bio media than a 406. I'd think 3 ac filters would be on par, if not better than a single fx. We're talking 1500gph of much more oxygen rich water.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I agree with the above, more filtration will always be better. That being said I love my fx6. quiet, runs great, holds a lot of media IMO. I would 100% add 3 AC110's before the fx6 on any tank however, for the oxygenation, filtration capabilities and time tested reliability of the AC's. Fluval makes a bomb product, but the fx6 has supposedly had its quirks and mishaps as with a lot of newer models/products. Only time will tell for me I suppose.

teqvet

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
SE
Fwiw I absolutely hate my ac110. If it weren't such a good polisher when loaded I'd have taken it down after the recent fx6 install. Ran 2 xp3 + 1 ac110..always had murky/cloudy water for over a year. Added the fx6 and within 12 hrs the tank was as clear as a show tank.

The fx6 might not be the top of the line biofilter but in terms of mech I'd choose it day in and day out over 3 ac110s.

The ac110 is unsightly and it's loud if you run the water line lower than 1in of the cascade. In fact I might just dismantle it after the next wc this week. I have over 10 various ac's, 70-110s because of their cheap value and efficiency.

Also, you can get just as much o2 turnover by applying something like a koralia 1500 in place of 3 ac110s, if o2 turnover were your only goal, or using something like a topfin8000 air pump in conjunction w/ a koralia pump.

Just my thoughts :) as I write this post I actually realize how much I dislike ac hob filters now. Lol

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm just an enemy of power filters, lol, to much power consumption for to little filtration. Sponges and sumps with low power pumps are the way to go.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Sponges and sumps with low power pumps are the way to go.
Dive master has turned into rhyme master lol..... In all seriousness.I have both AC110s and fluval FX6s in my opinion id take an FX6 over 3 AC110s any day .... Although dive master is right.... Sump is the best way to go if they were brought into the comparison

Sent from my LG-D850 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I never liked my aquaclear filters. I don't use them anymore. I don't even own them anymore. But I recognize that they have a great design and many benefits.
There are a lot of great products out there. Everyone should just use what works for them.

I've got sponges, sumps, magdrive pumps, sunsun canisters, fluval canisters, whisper power filters, aqueon powerfilters, eheim canisters, box corner filters... Some of the stuff is in use, some isn't.

I'd never put a single canister on a tank, period. I lost alot of livestock when a 3 year old, well maintained Eheim 2215 decided to quit on me on my planted 40gal. Ohnoes! Eheim is the best! Impossible! I replaced it with 2 sunsun canisters, each with their own inline heater. Redundant, safe, piece of mind. Sure the odds of a sunsun failing are greater than a single Eheim, but that's why I got two.

Whatever you chose, engineer some redundancy into your system. Nothing like panicking when your sole source of filtration takes a dive.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I never liked my aquaclear filters. I don't use them anymore. I don't even own them anymore. But I recognize that they have a great design and many benefits.
There are a lot of great products out there. Everyone should just use what works for them.

I've got sponges, sumps, magdrive pumps, sunsun canisters, fluval canisters, whisper power filters, aqueon powerfilters, eheim canisters, box corner filters... Some of the stuff is in use, some isn't.

I'd never put a single canister on a tank, period. I lost alot of livestock when a 3 year old, well maintained Eheim 2215 decided to quit on me on my planted 40gal. Ohnoes! Eheim is the best! Impossible! I replaced it with 2 sunsun canisters, each with their own inline heater. Redundant, safe, piece of mind. Sure the odds of a sunsun failing are greater than a single Eheim, but that's why I got two.

Whatever you chose, engineer some redundancy into your system. Nothing like panicking when your sole source of filtration takes a dive.

Agreed never qould go with 1 filter. I have sponges , ac110/70, fx6, and 2262/2217.

Fx6 is great at mech but holds much less bio than 2262 and less flow. Not wanting to turn this into eheim vs fx though lol.

I absolutly love ac's though. Never have issues unless you count sand getting into the impeller. Can be very customizable and for the money $$$ and are too easy to service vs cracking open and canister. I would go multiple ac's over an fx6 (ive used both) the flow is nice but not what i thought it would be.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
I had purchased a FX6 then returned it right away. I felt like it was missing something. I ran 3 AC110s on my old 180 gallon with 3 cichla over 11'' and two around 9 inches. Never had a problem with water quality or clarity. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store