150 Gallon Lighting.

jrodkinsey

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
USA
www.instagram.com
Hi!

I recently purchased an AquaticLife T5 HO 4-Lamp 48" fixture for my 150 gallon (48"x24"x31") Manueli's tank. As most of you know, piranhas hate bright light so I'm just stumped on what bulb combination (4 bulbs) to use for healthy plant growth while not having the tank too bright. I was just wondering what bulbs you guys would recommend for optimal plant growth. I do have fluorite for the substrate but I do not run a CO2 system. I will get some pictures of my tank when I get home from work.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
So you want bright light for plants but low light for fish? Ummmm

The best I can say is buy planted spectrum light bulbs (they make t5ho versions of this). That way the light you have is best suited for the plants.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jrodkinsey

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
USA
www.instagram.com
I mean, they don't have to be kept in the dark or anything haha. This is just the first time I have had a quad fixture and I just overthink things sometimes. Is there a specific manufacture you guys recommend for the bulbs?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I have the 72" inch version of that light. Does it have a timer program (for 2 or 4 lamps)?. If so you could adjust the program so you get primarily just two lamps with a few hours of 4? I'm switching some of mine out for Giesemann superflora and tropic.

Podzy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Toronto
Run two Pink Bulbs and two white. it's not as intense as 4 white bulbs . I use Coralife or Fluval both good choices. if you like the planted route then I suggest adding some amazon Frogbit. That will give them some over head shade and dim things a bit in certain areas as it floats around the tank.

And your manny will be shy for a while , bright light or not lol. Get used to it sitting around until the lights go out in the room. Such a beautiful fish I wish I hadn't have sold mine back in the day.

MrBlueDream

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2015
3rd rock
Buy some water lilies!

They shoot beautiful leaves and flower to the surface, eventually able to cover the entire surface if you let them. Regular trimming will keep surface free as you want it.

I always keep lilies in my tank because IMO the fish like to be able to hide under something in fear of birds.
It really helps block some light, usually I'll keep Liles on one side of the tank and make it a dark area.

jrodkinsey

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
USA
www.instagram.com
Thank you everyone for the info! I just finished setting up the light and will get a picture as soon as I get a moment.

I decided to go with Giesemann X2 flora and X2 midday. The fixture has a built in timer for blue white and night. I'll just tinker with it until I get everything nailed down.

my current plant stock is just jungle Val and two amazon swords. I have the jungle Val on the far right side next to the power head so when it takes off, it will give a nice thick cover over the tank. Is there a good lily you guys would recommend or any other plant that may help with coverage?

I have had the Manny for about 7 months. I feed him a diet of krill, silversides and Repashy aquatic meatpie. While not as shy as some piranhas I have been around, he will eat in front of you if you don't move haha. I will be throwing on a black background tomorrow to help with covering any extra light entering them room and give him a more secure feeling.

Thanks again, everyone!

Podzy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Toronto
That's awfully bare for a Manny . I would suggest adding some sort of a backround and also to the sides to help it feel more secure. lots of plants real or fake will go a long way

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store