Visually speaking, more than 4 fish in a tank is too much.

When speaking of the art of aquarium keeping, i've found personal taste rules the day of course. Having said that, out side of bio-type or natural replication aquariums, be they monster tanks or nano, the aquarium is dis-served by housing more than 3 to 4 fish.

Allow me to elaborate. The eye wanders too much when an aquarium is overstocked - but overstocked is a crude word that carries with it too many negative connotations - when an aquarium is filled to capacity is a better term. This observation is not connected to whether its right or not to over stock or fill a tank to capacity, and frankly overstocking is not really what i'm talking about. And i'm not talking about water quality or filtration. Or aggression or care requirements.

Further complicating matters is decorations within a non-bio-type tank. Unfortunately they add to the visual noise if not properly employed - i'd go as far as to say they become part of the total life mass within the glass cube.

One key in aquarium design overall is negative or better yet empty space. For the viewer to appreciate the specimens contained in the tank, empty space must be liberally applied, and the hobbyist should really err on the side of too little decoration and fish mass as a whole.

But its not really about visual noise, rather its about the relative space between dis-similar objects within the tank.

It sounds like i'm advocating for wet pets within empty glass cubes, and perhaps I am. Perhaps i'm anti-decoration, and anti-overstocking. I'll allow that observation, however a clean glass cube with a few rounded rocks and 3-4 fish pleases me. But so does a solid lava rock wall in a tall tank leaving mere inches of space between glass and rock, with a few fish exploiting that wall.

The rule i'm suggesting is that if you are going to keep assorted fish, especially large assorted fish, the space between moving masses within the tank becomes unworkable the more fish above 3 or 4 you go. In fact, if the fish tend to be stationary, this only amplifies the lack of space, which sends further alarm sounds to the artistic core of my brain. But its not physical space, but persevered space between moving or stationary masses.

Schools of one type of fish work, but schools of dissimilar fish which are not found in nature, displeases me so.

You dig, or am i loopy on too many colas in my cube at work?

Your thoughts??

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I can agree with what you've posted. I like some of my busy assorted species tanks. They are entertaining to watch.

I also enjoy my mostly empty barebottom 75g oscar tank. The fish is the focal point.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

golcondorus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Oregon
Go with what you like, neither is really "wrong". Look at a lot of tanks from Asia, a glass box with fish and nothing else. Or a lot of tanks from Europe with a jungle of plants and like one fish. It's all about what you prefer as long as the needs of the fish are met

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

I can agree with what you've posted. I like some of my busy assorted species tanks. They are entertaining to watch.

I also enjoy my mostly empty barebottom 75g oscar tank. The fish is the focal point.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
You've spiked a thought in my brain, the assorted tanks that I can get behind, are those where the fish do not become too large.

Here's the best way I can put it. I love the hippo exhibit at the zoo. I love the gorilla exhibit at the zoo. I love the rhino exhibit at the zoo. However if the three pavilions were merged, i would not enjoy it as much.

And yes, I realize the sight of gorillas ridding hippos around like fleshy tanks attacking the rhinos would be amusing i suppose, but it would end badly an no one wants that.

Go with what you like, neither is really "wrong". Look at a lot of tanks from Asia, a glass box with fish and nothing else. Or a lot of tanks from Europe with a jungle of plants and like one fish. It's all about what you prefer as long as the needs of the fish are met

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I agree with you. But there is a certain visual disturbance with what i describe, and its not about the science or the morality of stocking a tank.

I dont want to come off as anti-anything if the fishes needs are met. I'm not.

What i've done in the past is add one fish after the other willy-nilly becuase i wanted a lot of different fish. But then i ended up with fish soup, which looks good in a pot, and on a plate, but in the tank, ah, there we had a problem.

So maybe that's it, we fill our tanks because we have only so many tanks. Nothing wrong with that, but visually from an art perspective...

I'll offer this as well.

I've seen beautiful tanks, here and in real life, with beautiful fish, and i get hung up on a bunch of fake plants or driftwood that fill my eyeballs and then i get distracted. People may say this about my penchant for enjoying and seeing filtration and mechanicals, eschewing the want of a background or cabinetry both above and below the aquairum. Fair enough, but I say mechanicals do not add to the bio-mass. Decorations do, perhaps because of their non-mechnical-ness, but I digress.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store