Can Anyone Explain This Overflow System?

need2ball

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
I've never seen this system before and do not understand how this works based on this guys explanations. I like it because it doesn't require drilling the tank but don't understand what's going on. Could someone please explain it to me? It's the first part of the below video. The only thing I don't understand is the intake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyr84QG7_gQ

[video=youtube;Hyr84QG7_gQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyr84QG7_gQ[/video]

need2ball

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Thanks for the link. That was definitely detailed although I still don't understand how that extra vertical tube makes it an overflow instead of a syphon but I guess it doesn't matter too much, I'll just take it as that's how it is.

One thing interesting in that video I noticed is that he suggests having two incase one clogs. Is it more likely for this type of overflow to clog since it actually sits in the water as opposed to a traditional hole drilled in the tank since the hole drilled in the tank is never fully submerged?

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Thanks for the link. That was definitely detailed although I still don't understand how that extra vertical tube makes it an overflow instead of a syphon but I guess it doesn't matter too much, I'll just take it as that's how it is.

One thing interesting in that video I noticed is that he suggests having two incase one clogs. Is it more likely for this type of overflow to clog since it actually sits in the water as opposed to a traditional hole drilled in the tank since the hole drilled in the tank is never fully submerged?
They are more likely to fail period. Buy a glass holesaw on ebay and a bulkhead for <20$... you'll be happer in the long run.
From how I understand it you have to maintain a constant fast velocity of draining water to keep any air bubbles from accumulating in the overflow tubes... too many bubbles and it'll airlock and quit draining. so having 2 drains may actually be more dangerous in the long run since your running less water through each tube. I've never ran a pvc overflow so I don't know for sure, but I've drilled lots of tanks. I'd never use a store bought HOB over flow, and if I were to exert the energy to go diy it's easier just to drill it.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store