Socolofi excavation....

LunarValkyrie

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2015
United States
I was given a so called harem of P. Socolofi or powder blue cichlids....one male-4 females. They are alone in their tank with a sand bottom. The dominant fish is all colored up and shows egg spots, but they are all digging bowls or hiding places under things. The male is in the center of the tank out in the open with his, but the others are under rocks or beside, under or inside ornaments, etc. Is this typical for both sexes, or are these actually a squad of boys? Or is this just a prelude to breeding for this species?

This is my first try with mouth-brooders. I know the males can chase females and cause them to hide. But will she dig under stuff? I also know once a dominant male is established, the others will fade out. These were given to me and I like them, and would love to try my first brood of fry, but they are all separated in hiding. lol I have not tried to vent anything as they are all about 2 1/2 or so inches except one and it is pretty small, so venting won't help with that one.

Anyone willing to share some advice on these fish? Thanks.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
They will do better with more fish in the tank...what are the dimensions of the tank? I like to see about a dozen fish in a 55G rectangle for example.

It's not typical for the females to hide.

LunarValkyrie

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2015
United States
It's a 30 gal with footprint of 36x12. There are 4 fish total, all Socolofi. All 4 had dug pits, but one is now hovering over a short plant while the others stay at the pits.
The largest ,most colored fish chases everyone. And his pit is beside a large flat rock in the middle. One smaller fish at one time was following him around, but now hides under a plant. The other smaller fish is still pretty tiny, but sneaks over the flat rock to see if the male is there quite often.
The 3 that are in question, do come out, and the "male" shimmies and shakes in the sand.
I have seen them eat, but they are all washed out. That's why I came here to ask if they might all be boys. All my researching gives different opinions. Some say females don't dig, while others say they do.
I don't want to get too deep in these fish until I get more comfortable with them, so 4 was a good start. And ya can't beat free. Lol

oldfish

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2005
Beavercreek Ohio
Four mbuna alone in a 30 gallon tank is a good start to later having just one left in a 30 gallon.The dominate fish will chase the others in this setup no matter which sex they are. You could use both more hiding places and more cichlids in your tank.The dominate fish then will have more fish to spread the aggresion out on and is less likely to chase down and kill another.

LunarValkyrie

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2015
United States
ok, I will see if any lfs has any more. They are kinda hard to find around here. That's really why I wanted them. Maybe I could supply the stores and get some new equipment. Thank you.
I put some new rocks in there for more hiding places. And I bought some new cichlid rocks with holes inside them as well. So far they haven't suffered any damage, but I want to make sure they have plenty of places to run. Especially that tiny one. IF I find more, I may move that one out into a tank to grow out more. These are still young fish, so they are around 2 1/2 inches except the smallest. At what size will they even think of breeding? Or is this digging the start?

Thanks for the advice.

oldfish

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2005
Beavercreek Ohio
If you introduce more cichlids or the little one after growing out make sure that you move all the rockwork/hiding places around so that ALL the fish are looking for a new territory.Other wise they may find it hard to join the others.They may breed at a pretty young age/size.Often by around 3 inches or so.

LunarValkyrie

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2015
United States
I would really like to stay at the 4 since these are setting up zones. And I hate to add fish that might upset them or make them go all postal on each other. I keep watching the larger 2 and one definately acts male. He does his little dance each time the other larger fish gets near or the tiny one. He will chase the other smaller fish. I can see a small egg spot on the dorsal fin on that smaller fish and have to wonder if that is a young male, just faded out. The tiny one pretty much gets ignored. The male is all colored up and shows major black on his fins and has a few egg spots that almost seem to light up. Today the other larger fish has stayed put and refused pellets, but did nibble on a few flakes later in the day.

If I were to get pix, would that be more helpful? I mean they look alike except for size pretty much. Sometimes if the male chases a lot, they others seem to show some striping...is that stress? It fades if he stops.

oldfish

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2005
Beavercreek Ohio
You should ad fish the sooner the better while they are all smaller. Your male is just going to get more aggressive as it grows and matures.Adding more fish will not upset them you just need to move things around so the new fish have a chance to find some territory of their own.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
I would not keep socolofi in anything less than a 48" tank due to their aggression.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store