Sand substrate- cloudy water?

annamarie92

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
NC
I'm setting up my 120gal and added the sand substrate and water this evening. I have never used sand, I've always had a gravel substrate. I rinsed the sand well before putting into the tank and tried my best to keep disturbance by the water low when filling. Its a Cichlid sand that has a natural river bottom look to it. The water is really cloudy still. Any advice on how to clear the water? Should I just wait for it to settle?
I was thinking just doing water changes until it clears up and trying the dinner plate method on top of the sand so the water wont disturb it coming in. No fish at all in the tank and no decorations. Just the sand and water.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I always just wait. After a few days its completely gone.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
+1... i never had luck with any sand other than pool filter sand though and black sand from estes. Anything lighter took forever to clear

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

REDTAIL1928

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Use a white felt in ur filter either in ur wet dry drip plate or inside a canister filter. It lasts about a day or two yjen u need to rinse it off or replace it with a new piece. U can get ot at an arts and crafts store like michaels here in FL but u may find a different one where u live. Its cheap and works like a charm!!

Sent from my SGH-M819N using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

annamarie92

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
NC
Use a white felt in ur filter either in ur wet dry drip plate or inside a canister filter. It lasts about a day or two yjen u need to rinse it off or replace it with a new piece. U can get ot at an arts and crafts store like michaels here in FL but u may find a different one where u live. Its cheap and works like a charm!!

Sent from my SGH-M819N using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Thanks so much!! I will definitely try that. I have a canister filter so I will put felt in there.

annamarie92

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
NC
So the water is a tad bit less cloudy today. It's still cloudy, but I can tell a difference.
I was going to get pool filter sand but my LFS talked me into the Cichlid sand that they carry. It is beautiful sand, hope I dont regret it :(
Thanks for all the help!

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Show it off...pics lol

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Commercial cichlid sand sometimes has buffers added to help raise pH, these can sometimes give water a temporary milky look.
I prefer pool filter sand as a base, it is inert and doesn't produce extra color in the water.
I also like that a 50lb bag is probably little more than $5.

annamarie92

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
NC
So here's a pic from last night. You can see just how cloudy it is. The blue hue is from the LED bar.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1426797409.059294.jpg

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Wow i never had ot cloud up like that. Maybe other will chime in. I mixed pfs with carib sea peace river gives it a natural look

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store