Why Do We Have To Kill Another To Live? Serious.

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
So I had a dead fish, I decided to cut it in 3 pieces and feed it to my Snakeheads.

The dead fish was belly up and motionless. I took it out of the tank and laid it on a piece of cloth. It was fresh, just died. Even its eyes were clear.

Just to make sure it's really dead I cut it slowly and nothing, it was dead. In 3 pieces and all of a sudden its head twitched I felt so bad! But what about the fish I eat on my dinner plate?

I remember my Northern Snakehead snapping its jaws shut on a tilapia feeder, it was bent from the middle of its body broken in half.

Jerry Lawler: "Bah Gawd! Bah Gawd! Tilapia is broken in half! It's broken in half! Northern Snakehead is a monster! All hell breaks loose!"

Everyday, every single day the animals we eat go through torture and death. Some of us have even decided to go vegan for such sentiments. But even plants are alive and there are studies which insist we need meat or that not everyone can fit the vegan diet.

We are all prisoners aren't we? We are all tied down to something that we fight to protect and kill to protect.

A mother loves her child so much she surprises the child with KFC one day. How loving..but the torture that the chicken went through? Something the mother would forever curse God for if it happens to her own child.

We are no different..yet it is strange that we can feel in a way that disagrees with our own nature. It seems as if our soul and our animal body are two different characters.

https://youtu.be/XmG9koI_mW0

Burbotman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Canada
Reality is that things die so that others can live. Circle of life, humans though posess the emotions to struggle with it.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I have had the sort of discussion about the question your initial post raises. At a fundamental level we need energy to live, grow, reproduce and thus carry on a species. One group (plants) can stand in the sun and absorb energy directly from the sun (Also energy from deep sea geo-thermal vents.)
Another group became able to consume the first type and get their energy that way. The consumers, herbivores and carnivores, started a sort of a development race. There are multitudes of strategies in the dance between producers and consumers. Fish and people are indeed stuck consuming other lives. We people have some choice about the sort of life we pick to consume, meat or plants.

Some fish pretty much have to consume one or the other and have no real choice.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Populaton control

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Welcome to the Lounge Taker! :D
Man! You sure have a lot on your mind, I like the Jerry Lawler commentary, except when I read it, I heard Jim Ross' voice lol. I wish you didn't live soo far away, I'd totally try to help you out by trading you a big bag of plecos for your snakeheads! :D And so you didn't have to feed them live algae,
I'd even bring you some algae waffers! Dang it!! :/

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
Lol@you sure have a lot on your mind. This whole time he's been making general aquaria threads I kept thinking hmmm...he'd be great for the lounge.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Its the circle of life. Live to kill and kill to create. Just how it goes.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Vicarious by tool explains it well. We all feed off tragedy... vicariously i live while the whole world dies. Makes you appreciate being alive.

South park has a good one that's similar, butters is crying when his gf dumps him and he says something to effect of - you need to feel sadness because without it you would feel no happiness, the fact that you feel so low means that you must have or are able to feel great happiness as well.

I know my examples are a bit away from the mark in this thread, but there's a similarity in the underlying message of opposites. Famous philosopher, think it was Aristotle, tried to prove the immortality of the human soul using the theory of opposites, one of the premises is that from death comes life and from life comes death. Direct or indirect, i buy into it I think.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MrBlueDream

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2015
3rd rock
It's just nature, we must take.

Looks at tigers for example, beautiful creatures, but how many lives was taken in order for a mature tiger to thrive?

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
if we didn't need fuel to survive or if we can eat dirt to live, we'd over populate the earth

then ts would be making a thread complaining about how there is too many living creatures on this planet eating up all the dirt, making the earth shrink and that something needs to be done about it before we eat up the earth and we'll end up floating in space for eternity

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store