MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

robnin2002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2010
la mirada,ca
Man why do we always see this crap in florida? (Yes i know florida weather is perfect for these guys to thrive) but im referring to it in general. I see more and more things being released into florida than any other state in my opinion. Like you said.... Our ignorance. And it is because of those people that our hobby has state/federal restrictions on fish

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
May not be the result of a deliberate release. Don't forget the millions of fish that were displaced during major hurricanes. The cane's performed the structural damage. The associated flooding provided the means for fish to diperse throughout waterways.

teqvet

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
SE
Like oddball said, it's not entirely about ignorance and it's unfair to blanket it as such. I live in the nw panhandle of florida, loosely called part of Hurricane Alley. All it takes is one ivan, or andrew, or katrina to hit a zoo or several large pet wholesalers and an invasive invasion a is given the chance to grow.

I remember when Opal hit, a Pensacola beach condo had a python crawling around. That snake belonged to someone from mainland. When the water receded, the snake managed to get on something that landed it on the condo at the beach.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
Man why do we always see this crap in florida? (Yes i know florida weather is perfect for these guys to thrive) but im referring to it in general. I see more and more things being released into florida than any other state in my opinion. Like you said.... Our ignorance. And it is because of those people that our hobby has state/federal restrictions on fish

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
You answered your own question. Because the climate allows them to live and sometimes actually thrive. If that fish was released even in a place like Georgia, it would not make it through the winter. You have to remember that the southern tip of Florida is the most southern part of the mainland USA (48 states).

Now Texas has issues with plecos thriving in the wild.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Like oddball said, it's not entirely about ignorance and it's unfair to blanket it as such. I live in the nw panhandle of florida, loosely called part of Hurricane Alley. All it takes is one ivan, or andrew, or katrina to hit a zoo or several large pet wholesalers and an invasive invasion a is given the chance to grow...
Thanks Oddball, Teqvet. Yeah, I likely was not fair. The thought crossed my mind but I thought it'd be unlikely for a Marbled Pim to survive even a few winters as we do get cold spells, enough that State-released RTCs failed to establish and Peacock bass do not thrive as would be expected. Even snooks die off in colder winters.

The water needs to be really deep (20'+) for a Marbled Pim to not freeze to death (the ground temp is ~74 F). Still, all this being a supposition, I should have been more discreet myself. Man, my words taste foul but I am eating them :(

*********************************************************************************

Plecos are far hardier. They are survivors. E.g., they have been reported to survive in the "warm" output of electric power stations in Poland winters in 7 degree Celsius water (most others waters are frozen).

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Thanks Oddball, Teqvet. Yeah, I likely was not fair. The thought crossed my mind but I thought it'd be unlikely for a Marbled Pim to survive even a few winters as we do get cold spells, enough that State-released RTCs failed to establish and Peacock bass do not thrive as would be expected. Even snooks die off in colder winters.

The water needs to be really deep (20'+) for a Marbled Pim to not freeze to death (the ground temp is ~74 F). Still, all this being a supposition, I should have been more discreet myself. Man, my words taste foul but I am eating them :(

*********************************************************************************

Plecos are far hardier. They are survivors. E.g., they have been reported to survive in the "warm" output of electric power stations in Poland winters in 7 degree Celsius water (most others waters are frozen).
State released rtcs?

Sent from my ST15i using Tapatalk App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store