Glass Or Acrylic Tanks

need2ball

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
So after a long hiatus I'm coming back! I had to sell off my pleco colonies a couple years ago unfortunately but now I'm going to start fresh and go with a 4 tank system. I'll be using 40 gallon tanks this time but can't decide whether or not I should go with glass or acrylic. I've always used acrylic and have been concerned about glass leaking and/or breaking.

What do you use and why?

2ringcreatures

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2015
Where oxygen is
Small tank, acrylic is ok. Cheap plus light. When hit, still cracks!
Big tank, glass still better. Dont need very thick can do big tank already. When hit also cracks.
different between both. If use acrylic to big tanks, your acrylic need to be very thick. Otherwise will warp/bend. And thick acrylic aren't cheap. Bonding of acrylic without leaking compare to glass is more tedious.
and don't forget, long term acrylic sure get lots of scratches.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Small tank, acrylic is ok. Cheap plus light. When hit, still cracks!
Big tank, glass still better. Dont need very thick can do big tank already. When hit also cracks.
different between both. If use acrylic to big tanks, your acrylic need to be very thick. Otherwise will warp/bend. And thick acrylic aren't cheap. Bonding of acrylic without leaking compare to glass is more tedious.
and don't forget, long term acrylic sure get lots of scratches.
Disagree. Acrylic can handle much higher impact force than glass. Rotational force can crack acrylic, but blunt impact it's much stronger. Around 17 times stronger against impact. Where did you read this information? Please verify and research before regurgitating information.

Scratches can be buffed out of acrylic. They cannot reasonably be buffed out of glass. You can even use mighty mag sets and buff the acrylic scratches without draining the tank.

Acrylic is a better insulator, and weighs less. It is also clearer to see through.

I own both, but prefer acrylic.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Disagree. Acrylic can handle much higher impact force than glass. Rotational force can crack acrylic, but blunt impact it's much stronger. Around 17 times stronger against impact. Where did you read this information? Please verify and research before regurgitating information.

Scratches can be buffed out of acrylic. They cannot reasonably be buffed out of glass. You can even use mighty mag sets and buff the acrylic scratches without draining the tank.

Acrylic is a better insulator, and weighs less. It is also clearer to see through.

I own both, but prefer acrylic.
+1 I'm an acrylic fan. Acrylic aquariums have a cleaner more professional look in my opinion as well

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
+1 for acrylic. I recently got a 450 gallon with many scratches and after its been buffed looks brand new. I also have both but 1000% prefer acrylic for reasons already mentioned

Sent from my LG-D850 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jhawk974

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2014
Utah
I have both love my glass tanks and can't wait to get rid of the acrylic tank. Acrylic is a pain to get in the tank the opening is no where near big enough. Plus I have been shopping around for a 240 or bigger and all the shops are saying go glass because it will last longer I don't know how true that is but something to research also.

mscamp02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Mt. Sterling KY
Own both, and it depends on what your aims and budget are. If you are going brand new glass with be cheaper and can be just as clear if you spring a few extra on starfire glass (still cheaper than acrylic). Big problem is it is a pain to move due to the weight. Took about 6 people to set up by 312g on my stand but my 225g acrylic I was able to get into the house and on the stand by myself (walking it on its end and sliding it on a blanket across the hardwood).

If your tight on budget and buying new go glass with starfire. If you are buying used anything buy acrylic because of scratches. It's a pain but you can buff it all out by yourself in a day or so but cannot for glass, you are stuck with what you got.

For you application of 40g breeders I would just do the petco dollar a gallon sale and go glass. Personally I will most likely continue to go glass for tanks up to around 200-300 gallons due to price then acrylic beyond that. I've had a 60g glass for about 8 years without scratching it and by 312 for around 3 years without scratching it.

need2ball

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Thanks for all the input. I know I wanted acrylic but was trying to convince myself to go glass because it's so much cheaper new...I kept searching craigslist and ended up getting a good deal on a bunch of tanks... I got my acrylic!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store