I really need some advice!

PayaraPhreak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
Iowa
I've been looking into getting myself an armored bichir, but haven't found any info that I can trust. Can anybody tell me how many gallons I would need for just one? Also, any other info about them would be greatly appreciated since this will be my fist bichir.

Thanks!

CaptainS

Banned
Dec 14, 2014
Bay Area
Keep them in no less than 50 gallons for one an if you want more advice look up armored bichir care on google and click on aquarium advice and there is some pretty good info on the armored bichir care on that site. The specific wording for it is Armored bichir-polypterus delhezi Boulenger-aquarium advice thats the exact wording of the website title on google.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
I've been looking into getting myself an armored bichir, but haven't found any info that I can trust. Can anybody tell me how many gallons I would need for just one? Also, any other info about them would be greatly appreciated since this will be my fist bichir.
Thanks!
I'm going to assume you want a delhizi. I'll let someone else chime in on tank size. Online you can find them on aquabid and several other places.

Where in Iowa are you?

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Yes it's the delhizi I'm looking at and Thekid I'm in Iowa City ;)
If you go down to corallville bay you can talk to the staff and see about ordering one for you. Patrick and ED are great helpful guy who should take care of you.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Floor space is more important. Height is not issue. A tank of 4 feet and 18 inches wide or bigger will be fine. Like CaptainS said a 55g will be fine solo. Will need a larger tank if gonna add more. Once you get one poly you want to get more. So consider getting a bigger tank. There's an addiction to these polypterus. Get about 12-14 inches long in ideal settings. Not picky with food. Pellets, frozen, tubifex, etc. No issues with water preference but keep your tank w/in nml. If you add fish then be cautious as if you think it can fit in its mouth then will try to eat it.

PayaraPhreak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
Iowa
Wow Thekid thank you so much! That will make things much easier for me! I am also wondering if I want to put 2 different fish in a tank how do you differ how big a tank you need? For example, I get 2 fish, one needs at least 60 gallons and the other needs 50. Would I get a 110 gallon or somewhere in the middle? I literally have no idea how to figure this and I would love to know!

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Wow Thekid thank you so much! That will make things much easier for me! I am also wondering if I want to put 2 different fish in a tank how do you differ how big a tank you need? For example, I get 2 fish, one needs at least 60 gallons and the other needs 50. Would I get a 110 gallon or somewhere in the middle? I literally have no idea how to figure this and I would love to know!
If you are getting two bottom dwellers then I would get a larger footprint. If it's a mid level fish then I would do the tank size for the larger minimum fish.

PayaraPhreak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
Iowa
Wow thank you so much! If I have anymore questions (I most definitely will) I will post them on here! Thank you again!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store