Is this Ray courtship?

rlane

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Morristown, NJ
I recently added a mature male to my tank and in a couple days he just started going after my mature female, biting at her in what seems to be his attempt at mating with her. She tries to sting him each time and this will go on for 5 minutes or so then they stop and go about their business for a little while and then start back up again. She seems to want no part of it. He completely ignores the other rays and fish in the tank focusing solely on her. Is this typical of the beginning stages of mating? If so, how long will this typically go on before he is successful. It would be both parents first time so I would imagine there may be some learning curve. Is there anything I can do to get hey to be more willing? This would be my first time having rays mate so as you can image i am excited and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

rlane

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Morristown, NJ
Another question, assuming you don't see them do the actual deed, how can you tell the female is pregnant prior to seeing movement after a couple of months?

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Sounds like it- nothing you can do but hope- watch that the female doesn't get to roughed up and or stressed and stop eating-if she does she may have to be separated- you may see a sperm plug in her and he will stop trying once the deed is done.

What kind of rays?

dookie

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2005
Hong Kong
There really is no way to know unless you actually witnessed it. Some signs would be extreme damage to the female, cloudy water, and all the sudden a decrease in aggression.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store