First time with sump and an acrylic tank. Couple of questions

THE FAMILY GUY

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2011
NEW YUCK CITY
I'm in the process of setting up an acrylic tank and I have a couple of questions

I'm building a wet dry/ sump filter out of a sterilite 3 drawer plastic storage unit. In the first draw will use filter floss last 2 drawers will be all scrubbies. I've watched quite a few videos on YouTube but just not clear on one thing. With the pot scrubbies should I pack in as many as I can squeeze into each drawer or just loosely pile them in? Also are there any drawbacks to the sterilite filter idea?

Last question. I have 2 pre drilled holes in the side of the acrylic tank (not in the internal overflow box) that I don't need. I want to seal them up using bulkheads and caps but I'm not sure how to do this what to buy or where to buy it from so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've never owned a pre drilled or acrylic tank and always used canisters so I need the experts on this one.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Last question. I have 2 pre drilled holes in the side of the acrylic tank (not in the internal overflow box) that I don't need. I want to seal them up using bulkheads and caps but I'm not sure how to do this what to buy or where to buy it from so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've never owned a pre drilled or acrylic tank and always used canisters so I need the experts on this one.
Where are the holes located exactly on the side of the tank ? Were they intended for return lines using locline or some sort? I assume you need to block since the water line will be past it? Just want to confirm before providing commenting further.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Where are the holes located exactly on the side of the tank ? Were they intended for return lines using locline or some sort? I assume you need to block since the water line will be past it? Just want to confirm before providing commenting further.
+1

If it was for the return locline on your overflow, I had the same set up. Turns out the holes were threaded on my tank and I just bought some plugs and screwed them in the hole and its water tight. if it leaks a little bit its no big deal because it's leaking into the over flow.

If the holes are on the tank then you need bulkheads. I use threaded schedual 80 bulkheads and then I buy a plug like above and screw it in, never had a leak. The schedual 80 bulkheads are more money but worth it. I never had one crack or fail on me.

THE FAMILY GUY

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2011
NEW YUCK CITY
About 3/4 of the way up on the left side of the tank. the tank has internal overflows that I will utilize, but I can't for the life of me figure out why these 2 holes where drilled there. I dont want to permanently seal them just in case I ever sell the tank

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
They were most likely drilled for return lines - water being returned to your tank, from say a sump. I have an internal overflow as well, and have the return going through the overflow "T" for the returns. Some like this as it does not expose any plumbing other than under the tank / under the tank stand. You will want to plug then if you don't use. Ever thought about using it since that's what it's there for?

THE FAMILY GUY

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2011
NEW YUCK CITY
Ok so the drill holes I'm talking about is on the side of the tank. Inside the overflows there's 2 drilled holes for out take and intake. These holes I wanna seal don't appear to be for return hoses.

20150315_153901.jpg

20150315_152535.jpg

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Get 2 pieces of 3/4" acrylic and some weld-on 40 and patch or put bulkheads in and cap the bulkhead with a threaded PVC plug

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I see what you mean now...probably for some closed circulation of some sort. I'd go bulkhead as suggested.

You should measure the whole to get appropriate size bulkheads. I like bulkreefsupply bulkheads. You can get the caps there or hardware stores

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Pack the scrubbies loose. If you pack them in too tight they might clog up and you'll have a flood on your hands. As for the holes...order bulkheads from BRS. I think the rule of thumb is measure the hole and subtract 3/4" and that's the side bulkhead you buy. Home Depost sells pvc caps. A little teflon on the threads and you're golden.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store