What do you guys think?

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
Shopping around for a 180 gallon stand and my LFS has a Iron stand fairly cheap for like 180.00. Perfect for my budget! Anyway here is the pictures of them but they look sketchy as hell. Would you guys trust this to hold all that weight?

20150130_110929-Cropped-R.jpg20150130_111014-180-wide-R.jpg

One of those is a 120 gallon but it shows the structure of the legs. IDK. I probably shouldnt even be asking according to my gut feeling!. Just curious as to if anyone has purchased anything like that. The tanks are marineland so I assume the stand is as well.

20150130_110929-Cropped-R.jpg

20150130_111014-180-wide-R.jpg

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
I guess they work because I have seen a lot of tanks on them. Personally I would not use. They are just a little too rickety for me. For large tanks I prefer to build my own from wood.

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
I guess Ill have to head over there and check them out in person.

Why wouldn't an iron stand work? I have all my tanks on iron stands. I mean its welded iron! I guess if it wasn't built right from good metal, but i'd take iron over wood any day of the week.

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
Yeah obviously there sold for a reason ha, IDK it just looked sketchy. I would have figured for a 180 gallon tank it would lay flat on the ground. Not have those 4 little legs lol. Already had a seam leak once and lost everything dont want to go through that again ha.

Yeah obviously there sold for a reason ha, IDK it just looked sketchy. I would have figured for a 180 gallon tank it would lay flat on the ground. Not have those 4 little legs lol. Already had a seam leak once and lost everything dont want to go through that again ha.
I guess the steel doesn't really give much like wood would for preventing glass shifting. I suppose you could get over that by placing a sheet of plywood on top of the stand and some Styrofoam. The little feet aren't little feet, they are the full length of the steel tube. :)

Mind you i just noticed the tank you showed does note have full tubular construction. I'd be weary then for sure.

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
Yeah haha that's what I'm saying! Looks sketchy. Ive seen tons of iron stands but full tubular like you said just nothing like that.

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
I had a 150 on one of those for years. They are pretty sturdy, should have 6 legs on a 180 size. Wood can twist, check, warp with humidity unlike steel.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store