Adding crickets to the menue...need some advice though.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Hi Folks, I have a ~5-6" Leichardti and wanted to introduce crickets to his diet. I 've got some questions for those who have experience with this keeping in my he's still a little guy.

1) I can primarily get crickets at the chain stores (crickets for reptiles in multiple different sizes). Are these fine and what size of crickets do I go for?

2) For a single feeding, how many crickets is a "good" number for him to eat, to ensure it's getting enough? Do you also follow up with any other foods during the same feeding (i.e. pellets, blood worms, krill, etc.)?

I got him on Hai Feng (flowerhorn) pellets, Hikari foodsticks & some carne pellets, frozen blood worms, krill, recently started live meal worms too.

When feeding krill and mealworms, I also follow with a pellets/food sticks afterwards. Primarily for his tank mates, but he'll have some as well. Any inputs would be appreciated!

jordanroda

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2005
I Love L.A.
Large crickets are only a 3/4 of an inch if that...NewLifeSpectrum fish food...Jordy also feeds red mealworms to my SilverDragon...:D

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
What's a good number of large crickets? For example, would you feed an average of around 4 to 5 3/4" crickets, then follow-up with some other pellet foods, etc.? I know all fishes are different, but just want to get a ball park of how much cricket I should feed in one feeding...Thanks.

Black Tuna

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2014
California
youtube.com
I once had a green tree frog die from eating a large cricket. I forgot to take off the legs of the cricket, which have these sharp spikes on them. The cricket moved in my frogs stomach, tearing up his insides and the poor guy ended up pooping out his stomach. Wonder if this is a concern with fish.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I once had a green tree frog die from eating a large cricket. I forgot to take off the legs of the cricket, which have these sharp spikes on them. The cricket moved in my frogs stomach, tearing up his insides and the poor guy ended up pooping out his stomach. Wonder if this is a concern with fish.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I used to twist the heads off of mealworms, so they wouldn't eat their way out of my geckos stomach

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Crickets from the store or outside are fine. Try to mix up the diet or they will get hooked on their favorite. Not sure there is a number to feed so just go with what looks comfortable and not to many that they start escaping out of your aquarium or you will find them hopping around your house.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I used to twist the heads off of mealworms, so they wouldn't eat their way out of my geckos stomach

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I never thought about that...it's been a few weeks starting mealworms too and my Lei seems fine. I would imagine, the little worms will die as the intestinal acids do its job. I'm also thinking, understandably, we baby our fish, but in the wild I'm sure even the little guys are chomping on a bunch of live critters and insects.

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
You could buy crickets in bulk from wholesalers like Flukers. Gutload them while still in the box and freeze them still in the unopened box they arrive in. Put them in ziplock bags. Very simple. No dying smelly crickets, none loose jumping & chirping around your home & no more frequent trips to ripoff retail stores. Aros love crickets whether live or thawed. One box of a thousand crickets should last you awhile

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store