Fish social Behavior and some observations

Podzy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Toronto
Fish are a lot like kids , hear me out I know your probably thinking "Where is he going with this ? " At the very least the social hierarchy that would be seen at a high school is quite similar. I'll give you some examples of what I mean. So for starters, I have a loaner cardinal tetra in my tank. it is quite active and healthy but for what ever reason just won't assimilate to the group which by the way consists of about 16 from a few different sources so none are the same. but I'd like to add that the ones that were bought together tend to stick closer then the others.

I have half a dozen bleeding hearts who tend to beat up and bully the smallest of the group of them but, he still tags along and tries to fit in. I also have an x ray tetra who is SOLO , received him accidentally in the bag but I kept him as I have no reason not too. He tends to roam group from group shoaling with whoever seems to be the most active at the point in time - always needs to be in the popular social circle.

My rummys tend to stick together they are a very tight knit group that minds their own business and doesn't seem to bother anyone or get into anyones space. So i am sure you get the idea of what I mean and it can be quite fascinating to actually see this take place right before our own eyes.

Please share your observations , explanations reasons behind why you think my one Cardinal is a loaner and how certain fish like my Cory Cats don't seem to care about anything going on other than what they are doing.

Discuss!

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
thats what rummy nose tetras are known for. for being a very tight knit schooling group.

when i added my 1" jack dempsey to a tank with ruby barbs he only hung out with them. where they were, he was. which makes sense though.. fry tend to stick together so im guessing he saw fish of similar size and thought he would be safer hanging out with them. he eventually stopped that and did his own thing. until his unfortunate demise when he jumped ship.

something i thought was interesting with my barbs is that when i had a male with them, them being 5 females, the males were relentless. i tried two different males and each one was a total jerk. nonstop chasing. its just been the ladies for a bout a year now. reciently the largest female has kind of taken over and is like a pack leader. at one point she was just as bad as the males. now everyone seems to follow her suit.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I can see that. My group of giant danios can just never all stick together. Theres always the one that stays away from the rest and sometimes a few others wander off as well. There's six of them total. And my Corys, like you said, all just stick together and don't pay attention to anything else. Half of the times I look at them they're all spawning! There's 5 paleatus that always spawn but don't give me fertile eggs ever plus my sole aeneus I added with them for company that tries to spawn but gets rejected by the paleatus, lol. I figured I might as well just keep them for fun, I envy their lives of free food, no work, and getting to "spawn" all day whenever they feel like it :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store