Giraffe Cat Max size

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
I have a wonderful GC and would like to know how big they can grow? This will help me plan for a big tank in the future or put him up for adoption

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
If you have auchenoglanis occidenalis, one reached just under 5 feet and weighed 88 pounds in the wild.

People will tell you that they can't really get that big, but I've seen posts from 3 different people who got theirs to 24-30" in the span of 18-24 months. It may take a while to reach full size, but that certainly is a great start. They should at least be able to reach 4 feet given that type of start.

They get enormous and my theory is that the only reason we don't see them at 4+ foot range in private collections is that they aren't that common and a lot of people who get them aren't prepared to raise them to that size.

Gorgeous fish in my opinion and very personable (can be petted, e.g.)

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
I figured 2 to 2.5 feet. I have a 500g but also have a pair of large growing Umbee that I might want to put in it instead. Thanks for the info.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Strollo is probably right, after 2 ft it will take along time to hit 3 feet

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Pretty nice, Dive. Where is this at? Public Aquarium, Zoo, Pro Bass, Cabella's...? ;) I've never seen one in much excess of 2'.

If you have auchenoglanis occidenalis, one reached just under 5 feet and weighed 88 pounds in the wild.

People will tell you that they can't really get that big, but I've seen posts from 3 different people who got theirs to 24-30" in the span of 18-24 months. It may take a while to reach full size, but that certainly is a great start. They should at least be able to reach 4 feet given that type of start.

They get enormous and my theory is that the only reason we don't see them at 4+ foot range in private collections is that they aren't that common and a lot of people who get them aren't prepared to raise them to that size.

Gorgeous fish in my opinion and very personable (can be petted, e.g.)
Nice post, Doc. If you will, would you provide a citation for the 5'-, 88 lb datum?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store