Optimal flow rate for bio media

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
Just wondering if anyone has seen a study that was done to determine what the best flow rate is for bio media efficiency? That would be an awesome article.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
Just wondering if anyone has seen a study that was done to determine what the best flow rate is for bio media efficiency? That would be an awesome article.

I would believe the people at Eheim!

They say fast is for Mech, and slow for bio, that's why their new filters are pushing 1000l/h less than Fluval but handle way more bio, but they are ****ty at Mech.

Take a old faithful 2262, power, speed, bio, Mech! (Only filter I would ever bother to own)

Also it depends on what media you use, the small balls, or noodles are not really great because they only get surface contact, I.e. The washer passing over them is still fully oxygenated, so you only get 2 types of bacteria growing, meaning only the ones that remove nitrite and ammonia.

I have a 2262, established, running at full power, with marine pure 1.5inch spheres, and I've yet to be about to achieve a nitrate reading! This is because the balls are large, the pretty 75% houses all the aerobic bacteria for ammonia and nitrite, and the inner 25% of the ball, because oxygen has been depleted by the outer bacteria, aerobic bacteria form in the centre, and that's running at full flow rate.

I like my canister to completely remove and bio waste before hitting UV or Purigen/Macropore as it makes it way more efficient.

It's all up to you.

UV sterilizer and Purigen/Macropore are a different story, UV no matter what the box says, poor what B.S. The person seeing it to you feeds you. Flow rate with these matters, I have a36w UV with only 6-700l/l going through it.

I split my output line with a T join and tattoo before the UV/purigen system so I can control the flow.

The more contact time water had with UV the better it is, so out of my canister I divert about 15-20% of the flow to my UV.

Full flow through a UV well barely kill algae, over 1500l/h you can kill most water bacteria, at 1000l/h or less you start killing viruses...

My canister runs 85% direct to spray bar, about 2500l/h, and 15% to UV and Purigen/Macropore, about 6-700l/h

Hope that helps

Sent from my SM-G900F using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
Thanks for the response man. I'll be running between 2500-3000 gph on my 220 and I know it's a lot of flow so I was trying to figure out what the best media to use would be.

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
Thanks for the response man. I'll be running between 2500-3000 gph on my 220 and I know it's a lot of flow so I was trying to figure out what the best media to use would be.

anything spherical!!! Aquaclay F4-10 is ok, Marine Pure 1.5 inch spheres are one of the best, or there is this other stuff i have heard amazing things about called Bio-Home Ultra, I have only seen it on ebay, but from what i read its supposed to be better than Marine Pure!!

Any media that is spherical or that can be stacked easily in a uniform order will have less effect on the flow.

Seachem Matrix is amazing stuff, but it hugely restricts the flow because it packs together so tightly!

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ

That's a crazy amount of flow through a sump on a tank that size...what's your overflow setup like?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store