New to Polypterus keeping- Photos and questions

PrettyPoly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
Canada
Hello MFK Poly people!

I'm new here, a recent convert from large coldwater community (Ranchu and Oranda Goldfish).

I've purchased 2 Bichir and have them in a species only 80 gallon planted tank, extended setup info in profile. As you can imagine I'm full of questions despite my research, and would appreciate some clarification.

To the best of my knowledge they are Polypterus palmas palmas (albino) and Polypterus delhezi (reg.), but the LFS I got them from wasn't sure as the tank was mixed juveniles. Below are some photos of the albino palmas, then I'll post the delhezi and a few setup photos. If someone could verify the species ID that would be great. Having a good idea of species and grow rate will hopefully let me know if I'm on track in the next couple months.

They measure approximately 3" for palmas and 4" for delhezi, and I've been told they're almost 9 months old.

I'm feeding med omega one cichlid pellet and bloodworms. How much do I feed? (four pellets a day has had two left over each day so I've cut back to 1 at dawn and 1 at dusk) Is their diet suitable? I have seen both polys eat pellet.

I worry the flow on my filters is too much and both can be adjusted. They're currently on their highest setting for max filtration but I doubt these guys need the 850gph that's going on the 80gal right now. About what should it be? Both fish appear active and alert despite the current flow.

Nice to meet you all and thanks in advance for the help!

uploadfromtaptalk1426962012099.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1426962040560.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1426962063873.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1426962086608.jpg

PrettyPoly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
Canada
Here are a few of what we believe is a delhezi as well

Sent from my SGH-I317M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1426963146898.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1426963165465.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1426963184219.jpg

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
1st is not a palmas it is a albino Senegal Max size will be around 7-9" for it
2nd is a delhezi max wil be between 9-12" for a captive bred
Carni pellets r fine for em 1 pellet a day for each is ok if they will eat more then give em more if not it's no big deal ... A 80 gal in my opinion ... (Some Others won't agree) ... Will be fine for those 2 for life .... The flow from the filter shouldn't be a prob

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

PrettyPoly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
Canada
Thanks everyone! Senegal is a much better fit, and it is good to hear that I didn't accidentally buy something much larger. I was told my 80 gallon would suffice for a few years if I wanted two, so long as they were smaller species bichir. Of course I've never been shy of upgrading and if there's a bigger tank on the horizon that's fine with me.

Appreciate all the compliments on the setup! I've got some more plants to dip and put in, and some rocks and driftwood I can play with so I'll post some more photos when I'm done picking at it :)

Sent from my SGH-I317M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store