Cane remember the name of this fish

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
What is the name of that species that is silver, looks close to a Ralph/scomb and has fangs like payara? I remember Wes brought some is a few months back but I can't seem to find that thread.

I thought it was a sheath but it's not.

It's been doing my brain in all day lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NY
What is the name of that species that is silver, looks close to a Ralph/scomb and has fangs like payara? I remember Wes brought some is a few months back but I can't seem to find that thread.

I thought it was a sheath but it's not.

It's been doing my brain in all day lol

If your talking about the catfish he had for sale that look like payara, they are called sheatfish and they're part of the Siluridae family which includes the Wels catfish. Wes had them around Christmas and they where listed as Belondonticthys dinema 14 Thailand Toothed sheetfish $350. On of my all time faves, I've wanted one for years but always miss out on them. Either they come in too small or too big for my set ups. I've seen them occasionally on Aquabid and Wet Spot has also had small ones available from time to time. Here's Wes pic of them and another other pic I found online.

150105_itoh442.JPG

150105_itoh442.JPG

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
If your talking about the catfish he had for sale that look like payara, they are called sheatfish and they're part of the Siluridae family which includes the Wels catfish. Wes had them around Christmas and they where listed as Belondonticthys dinema 14 Thailand Toothed sheetfish $350. On of my all time faves, I've wanted one for years but always miss out on them. Either they come in too small or too big for my set ups. I've seen them occasionally on Aquabid and Wet Spot has also had small ones available from time to time. Here's Wes pic of them and another other pic I found online.

View attachment 1065879
YES, that's it. I thought I was going crazy, I knew it was a sheath.

Thanks buddy

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NY
YES, that's it. I thought I was going crazy, I knew it was a sheath.

Thanks buddy

No problem, funny thing is the same thing happened to me with theses guys. When I first became interested the thread I saw them in called them sheathfish but when I looked for info. online(google) I couldn't find anything. I wound up having to search plantecatfish species by species till I found them and their scientific name.

reddead38

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
USA
I like the looks ... Max size and aggression?

Sent from my XT1254 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NY
I like the looks ... Max size and aggression?

Sent from my XT1254 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
They max out around 24" but stay smaller in captivity. They're not aggressive but extremely predatory. Still caution should be taken with comm'ing them because you want fish big enough for them not to eat but not aggressive enough for it to damage the Dinema. Despite what planetcatfish says they don't seem very active instead they're like Hydrolycus they hover often but are extremely fast when spooked or going after prey so they still need room to move. There's only two videos of them online that I could find but in one they're eating pellets so that's a plus since it appears breaking them off live is possible.
[video=youtube;sJq3GAGpzA8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJq3GAGpzA8[/video]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store