Wife Agreed!! Fish room is happening. Need advice/ideas for a 1000+ tank..

Kots

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2015
My tank
So, after building a 20'x13' room in our yard, my wife finally agreed to let me use it for my needs..

It so happens that my needs as I had them in my mind for over a year happen to be a big tank.

So im gonna start insulating the room and design a 1000+ tank and its sump.

Im thinking of a 12'x5' tank situated in the center of the room with viewing from all sides, or same dimensions situated in the corner of the room with viewing from the front and one of the sides, this positioning will allow me to keep more tanks in the room.

depth will be 2.5-3' haven't decided yet,

I need some advice as to weather I should go plywood or acrylic for this, I haven't had any experience with acrylic but I can get the proper sheets of acrylic for this project. I also feel that plywood might offer better insulation for the tank.

Just throw in your ideas guys, I have until summer to figure everything out, then the build begins.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Sounds pretty awesome. I would do acrylic, but you mentioned you are not familiar with it.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
It'll be most definitely more economical to build it with plywood versus all acrylic, provided you have the know how. Big sheets of acrylic are very expensive.

I don't think I'd tackle an all plywood or all acrylic tank of that size without a knowledgeable friend helping out or doing a smaller scale build my self.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I would not do a tank any deeper than 30 inches. It's a real pain to reach in and move things and clean if it's too deep.

Sounds like no big deal, but really think about how many times you do that to a tank...times a year ..... Times 5-10 years. V

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA

Kots

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2015
My tank
I'll probably end up with 2 viewing sides, I want to keep more tanks in the room than just one in the middle.

I will start cleaning up and preparing this weekend.

Any ideas on how to heat 1000+ gallons of water?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Finnex makes 500W and 800W heaters

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
I'll probably end up with 2 viewing sides, I want to keep more tanks in the room than just one in the middle.

I will start cleaning up and preparing this weekend.

Any ideas on how to heat 1000+ gallons of water?
Can you heat the entire room? That's probably the best/easiest, especially if you have other tanks in there.

specialized002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
I built mine with 2 walls that I framed out of 2x4's and am going to put insulation in the framed walls. Whether it will truly help I won't know until winter rolls around again. image.jpg

image.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store