Sump Question......What Do I Have?

EricJ7182

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
Jersey
Hey everyone. A family member just up and gave me a fish tank, and to my surprise a sump was inside the tank. I have never used a sump before and wanted to k is if anyone is familiar with this particular model? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1427068824.596061.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1427069555.765068.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1427069564.469035.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1427069572.680955.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1427069580.863145.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1427069588.418197.jpg

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I would make sure the pump works (what you're holding in your hand). They all do essentially the same thing. The drain is going to pull water out of the tank and pour it over the bioballs. It will then fill the chamber with the return pump. The other hose connects to the pump, which returns water back into the tank.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for. I've never heard of the brand, but you could google it for more info.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
You have a wet/dry or trickle filter. Wet/dry filters differ from other sump filters in that the water flows over the bioballs which are not submerged, versus the more traditional sump with submerged media. Does the tank have an overflow box?

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Looks similar to the aqueon or eshopps sumps I am sort of familiar with.

Looks like a good wetdry set up if the pump works you're good to go.

I don't like how I don't see a mechanical filtration before the bio balls. Soiled bioballs are a no go. Plus it makes for a difficult setup to clean.

I'd cut back on the bioballs and put some poly pads or filter floss under the drip tray In some way.

Looks like a good sump, albiet a little small

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

EricJ7182

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
Jersey
Thanks for the advice. What size tank could I use this on? I googled this brand and can't find anything at all. I've always wanted to try a sump and this one literally just fell in my lap.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

tommyfc3s

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2013
New Jersey
i actually have a wet/dry from the same company just a good bit larger that i'm running on a 110 gallon. looks like it has a drip tray above the bio balls so he just needs some floss sheet for on top of that. give the bio balls a rinse off in luke warm water before you set it up they look a little crusty. that eshopps hang on back overflow box should work pretty well for you, i have the next size up on my 110 and haven't had a problem. did it come with a little u shaped tube (the syphon tube for carrying over water from the tank to the drain box)? i also like to load bags of bio media(seachem pond matrix) under the bio balls and ammonia remover(seachem purigen) on the side with the pumps so i can change/clean it easier.

EricJ7182

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
Jersey
Thank you for the information. I added in a bottom rack to place the bags of pond matrix/biomass/eheim substrat. I noticed that the sump has a slot for another piece of acrylic to add in another chamber. Should I find a piece of acrylic or glass to add in Another chamber or do I not need the third chamber?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

viperman100

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Rialto, Cali.
The slot in that second pix usually holds a divider so you can add a sponge to polish the water before it reaches the pump. I imagine you can use a piece of acrylic with holes drilled in it or apiece of egg crate cut to fit.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store