Introducing lake/river caught fish into my aquarium.

Lindsay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2015
illinois
Not really just a thought that keeps coming up in my mind,
But what are the chances / % of any carried diseases/parasites that wild caught fish from the Mississippi river like catfish and converting them/introducing in and harming my 2ft arowana in his 300G tank?
Also what are the most effective quarantining methods people use for wild caught fish , blue catfish, bass, etc to be safe before introducing into the aquarium?

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
They need very different conditions from an Arowana, and have very different temperaments. Putting aside the different temperature, water, etc requirements consider the following:
A Blue Catfish would need a larger tank, and would end up snacking on the arowana.
A Bass would harrass the arowana, and outcompete the arowana for food.

Your best bet is to set up a 500+ gal unheated pond for the natives. Problem solved all-around.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I've seen several studies on North American species (both freshwater river and lake fish) and on salmon. Parasites are extremely common (at least two-thirds of the fish.) Diseases would be incremental to that total.

As for best methods, you need to acclimate the fish to the water pH and temperature which may take a while. The higher temps will likely accelerate the growth cycles of whatever it is carrying and allow you time to treat it. I would use a full month for wild caught fish although it's likely that with the right medications you could shorten that. However, when adding wild caught specimens to an existing tank with fish I prize, I tend to be very conservative.

This assumes the fish are good matches for your existing tank which is altogether something else.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
When I had natives they all had anchor worms when I caught them. Most of them got a mild case of ich when introduced into aquarium water, even though the other inhabitants were totally fine.

Quarantine them first. That's my advice. I did mine in rubbermaid totes with sponge filters for a few weeks. Lots of waterchanges. Good water quality will make alot of things (non parasite related) just "work them selves out" from my experience

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store