Hey just bought a senegal for my aunt, now I have a problem!

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey I have a 150 gallon saltwater tanka nd only bought this senegal for my aunt, however I couldn't head to her house today, plans got ruined. So this senegal has been sitting in the bag for about 9 hours, but I left the bag floating on my tank to make sure the temp of the water in the bag stays aroung 79-80. I know these fish are different from ordinary fish, will I be able to let him float in the bag overnight and get him to my aunt tomorrow or should I open the bag and somehow have him float to keep the temp warm in the bag?

If i do have to leave the bag open, will I have to find an air bubbler or since these fish if not mistaken breathe air I wouldn't need it? Im pretty sure I heard that they can breathe air

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Do you have a 5g bucket? Or Maybe some sort of container that can hold at least a gallon or so? Just keep it in some treated aquarium water and try to put some sort of lid ontop to ensure it doesn't jump out, but also leave some holes for air.

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
No they can breathe air from the surface

Sent from my D6708 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Ok awesome thanks! I was just going to open the bag, so the temp of the water in the bag stays warm, but it's best to use a bucket of water, however I don't have a spare heater he will be ok in room temp water?

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
You need to cut open the bag without a doubt. It will suffocate otherwise. Depending on your house temp it might be alright in a 5g bucket away from the tank. They're quite good at jumping, so definitely keep the bag covered of you open it and float it. That seems like bad news waiting to happen.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
What is room temp for you?

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Right now I just opened the bag and have him sitting in one of those specimen containers, but the bigger size. Its 3/4 full of water. I could maybe find a container and put holes in the top and let it float in my sump to keep the water warm, if need be. Also should I use the water it came with a add him to fresh new water with dechlorianted

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Should be fine in that. Just cover the basics have clean treated water, a decent sized holding container/bucket, lid to prevent it from jumping out, and some air holes. And obviously try and get it into a tank tomorrow ASAP.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store