Congicus just ate two huge clown loaches.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
My Congicus, now 16" just ate two 5.5-6" clown loaches. No idea what happened but I just walked into my living room to put talapia in the tank and watched him stretch his mouth around my biggest loach and choke it down.

He paled out and his barbels were down turned for a few minutes. The slime coat from the loaches made it look like he was foaming at the mouth.

He looks like he's going to be alright. I'm shocked. Those were both long, thick loaches. I would have never guessed that could be possible. I don't know what to do about the last clown loach. They dug out a cave deep in a piece of driftwood that would be impossible for me to get to. Wow... Just wow. Huge bummer. I was really fond of those guys.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Congicus is fine. Its all the way down now and his barbels are back tocnormal. Those were the biggest clown loaches I've ever seen in person. I was really hoping to grow them into monsters.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
There's no way to get it out unless I get profoundly lucky. It is buried deep inside a large piece of driftwood at the moment. I'm going to drop the water level to 30% and see if I can flush it out. I'm not 100% positive that the congicus got two, but there was a large lump his belly when I watched him eat one.

I suspect something happened to the loach to make it accessible... It would have had to have gotten caught on something or... No idea. Something. bleh.

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
There's no way to get it out unless I get profoundly lucky. It is buried deep inside a large piece of driftwood at the moment. I'm going to drop the water level to 30% and see if I can flush it out. I'm not 100% positive that the congicus got two, but there was a large lump his belly when I watched him eat one.

I suspect something happened to the loach to make it accessible... It would have had to have gotten caught on something or... No idea. Something. bleh.
Coulda just swam to close ... Sucks bro loaches r nice when larger sized ... If only one is left either add more (larger) sized or take him to a lfs cause 1 isn't cool for those he will be lost without buddy's

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

framcosco

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
los angeles, ca
Polys can be quick and incredible hunters.... but wow big CLs.... with their defensive barbs and quickness....

Sorry for your loss.... i know how it feels...

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Thanks for the condolences guys. The big cl was a beast. When I saw the congicus start trying to eat it I thought I was losing him too. Reminded me of a python almost. I guess the plan is to give the last one to my buddy who runs a lfs. He has a display tank with a large cl school. I would love more cl's but I don't want to risk it, and I have other plans for the 180 once my polys and gars migrate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store