Anybody work at an LFS? What are commonly asked questions?

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey Everyone,

So far Ive been working at Petsmart for almost a month, and Im really enjoying it here. Everytime Im asked a question Im not really sure of I've been trying to write it down in case Im asked again and can provide the right answer as well as provide this information to my coworkers. Ive always kept fish, so I do have tons of knowledge as well as been in saltwater hobby for a few years now and currently running a 150 gallon saltwater tank.

So far I have only written down this one, because I really didn't know how to go about telling the customer what to do despite telling them to do water changes as I didn't know green water was free floating algae, so not my research brought me to this:

Customer with Green Aquarium Water:

-Green Water is the free-floating version of algae commonly seen on the glass of tanks.

Causes of Green Water:
-Aquarium Lights on for too many hours
-Too much food is wasted
-Lack of consistent water changes and appropriate percentages
-Aquarium placed by a window (sunlight can quickly cause algae growth)
-Filter needs replaced media or replaced if not appropriately sized
Best Way To Remove Green Water:
-Perform a large water change 50% of aquarium water
-Add Medicine (Have to figure out what we have on the shelf that can aid in it besides the uv sterilizer)
-Keep lights off for a week, or just on during feeding
-Change out filter media
-Feed every other day and only enough that the fish eat
Best Way To Prevent Green Water
-Keep lights on only for 8-12 hours
-Keep up with water changes the more frequent the better, however about 25% every 2 weeks should be enough unless aquarium holds lots of fish
-Rinse filter media in tank water every 2 weeks and change media monthly
-Never Over Feed! Feed only what the fish can consume in 5 minutes
-Invest in a UV Sterilizer (green killing machine) can be purchased online if not available in store ( Works Great Tons of Video Proof)

So ^^^ this is an example of how I want to write these commonly asked questions and answers, but with your help especially if you work or have worked in an lfs can provide me some questions you hear routinely I will really appreciate it.

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
So start...algae typically becomes an issue for a handful of reasons: too much light, excess nutrients, and poor flow. Instead of treating the symptoms, try find the cause.

seanxwarp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2014
San Diego and Philippines
Ok. When I worked at a fish shop, first time owners always ask me why their fish is turning black.
-Ammonia Burns which can be solved by doing water changes every few days or just cycle the tank without adding any fish to the tank for a few weeks.

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
I managed a pet store for years (1989-2000), it was like being the fricken mayor. Seemed like everywhere I went people would be all "hey it's the fish guy!" Working the counter was like being a bartender, people would tell you way too much personal stuff.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Why do my fish keep dying? I feed them 4 times a day and change their water once a year.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
The five minute thing about feeding is bad advice. I can toss a heaping handful of food in the tank and they'll pick it at for 5 minutes then I have a mess to clean up.
I used to tell people you want to feel as if you're not feeding them enough. It takes a long long time to starve a fish. If you notice they have have swollen bellies after feeding time, you can probably cut back a little bit.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Also the only filter media that needs to be changed is carbon and any other chemical filtration. Sponges can be replaced too but I just rinse them out.
Biomedia however should never really be replaced. You can keep the same biomedia for the life of the tank. I used to sell people bags of biomax and told them to put it somewhere in their filter and never touch it.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Prepare to explain to people how a pleco is pretty much the worst thing they can add to their aquarium.

Prepare to explain to people that completely draining then dish washing everything in the tank is a bad idea.

Prepare to explain to people that "over filtering" does not compensate for water changes.

I miss my good regulars but for the most part I don't miss working at a lfs.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Also 1 inch per gallon is bad advise to any customers....many Oscar ended up in 5 or 10 gallons tank because most selling oscar size around 2~3 inches and staff saying it's fine to keep them in 10 gallons tank (same for Pacu).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store