Turtle Sexing (And Breeding?)

CretaceousCreatures101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2015
Oakland County, Michigan
I recently rescued a pair of Red Eared Sliders from a friend who no longer wanted them. They are exactly the same size, pretty small, with carapaces about 4.5 inches wide, so if one of them is a male then its claws haven't grown in yet. The pair are in a tank with four small koi I'm growing out, an african leaf fish, an angelfish, a pleco, and my baby common snapper (whom they get along with very well). From the minute I got them, I noticed they seemed to follow each other around. The other day, one of them started "tickling" the other, by brushing its claws against the front of the other's shell. I once kept two wild painted turtles (male and female), and noticed this "ritual," followed by mating so I let them go in their home pond. So I have a few questions.

Can this behavior mean they want to breed?
If so, any advice on breeding RES's?
And how can I sex my common snapper as well?

If you have any thoughts or comments I would love to hear them. I can provide pictures if necessary.

Z Trip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Canada
Yes males have long claws. He will "shuffle" them on a females. That is for breeding. Males reach maturity much smaller then a female would. I highly recommend not having then with a snapping turtle, that's a recipe for disaster. I do not recommend breeding RES. They are a dime a dozen and there is no market for them. Most end up dead or not being taken cared of correctly.

As for sexing your snapper, wait until its shell length is 6" or more for the best results.

Z Trip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Canada
I also see koi, pleco's and angel fish together? That is so wrong I don't know where to start.

Koi are cold water carp that are fast moving and voracious.

Angel fish are slow moving tropical fish. Pleco's latch onto slow moving fish. Not a good combo at all.

CretaceousCreatures101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2015
Oakland County, Michigan
I also see koi, pleco's and angel fish together? That is so wrong I don't know where to start.

Koi are cold water carp that are fast moving and voracious.

Angel fish are slow moving tropical fish. Pleco's latch onto slow moving fish. Not a good combo at all.
Well hey, they've all been doing just fine together for a long time, man. I have places to house all of them if anything goes wrong though.
And I totally agree with what you said about breeding RES's. But I have relatives and friends who were all willing to take one or more of the hatchlings, and they are all capable of caring for them.

Z Trip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Canada
"Just fine" is a point if view. No way will I ever agree with keeping carp and tropicals together. Just look up some of the issues the fish face. Easiest thing I can point out is diet. But that's just one.

RES lay anywhere from 10-35+ eggs. No point in breeding them for just a couple babies. Enough already need rescuing as people give them away. A 40 year animal is not for everyone.

CretaceousCreatures101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2015
Oakland County, Michigan
"Just fine" is a point if view. No way will I ever agree with keeping carp and tropicals together. Just look up some of the issues the fish face. Easiest thing I can point out is diet. But that's just one.

RES lay anywhere from 10-35+ eggs. No point in breeding them for just a couple babies. Enough already need rescuing as people give them away. A 40 year animal is not for everyone.
K, sorry if I was offending anyone, if the breeding idea is irresponsible.
Z, obviously you have your opinions and I have mine. Let's not take this debate too far. Agreed?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store