Ornate and lap

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Only question I have is since growth rate varies, should I be worried? That one may outgrow the other and eat it? Here's some pics they're about the same length but the ornate is slightly thicker. They're about 7-9 inches taking a rough estimate, and in a 120 feeding on mainly freeze dried krill. Oh and how could I tell if they're we or cb? I assume by the head length, but I've no other to compare to.
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1427137873.173019.jpg
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1427137952.602509.jpg

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Also they're in with a large common pleco about 14 inches, the thought of getting a smaller more appealing pleco has been crossing my mind maybe that reaches a max if 12 inches, but I don't want to get it and this one not behave well and suck on the slime coats, the one I have has never tried or anything, so I don't want to get rid of him and get another if the other would be a problem, he keeps any algae off the glass and eats pellets. What do you guys think? Try a smaller, nicer species, or stay with him.

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
Also they're in with a large common pleco about 14 inches, the thought of getting a smaller more appealing pleco has been crossing my mind maybe that reaches a max if 12 inches, but I don't want to get it and this one not behave well and suck on the slime coats, the one I have has never tried or anything, so I don't want to get rid of him and get another if the other would be a problem, he keeps any algae off the glass and eats pellets. What do you guys think? Try a smaller, nicer species, or stay with him.
Personally I wouldn't have a one wit em at all but if he doesn't Bother em id stay with him till he does..... An if both bichirs r 7-9" already ... U shouldn't ever have to worry bout em getting eat by one another

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Seperate te pleco as it will be bad news over time. They should be fine growth wise. Even if one outgrows the other they are at a large enough size to my be eaten by the other

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Thank you, and I know they're known for sucking the slime coat off and killing the bichirs. That's why I asked. And they've laid under him withou him trying a thing. Obviously and exception to the rule. I've had him with larger Senegals before. So I knew he was fine. I've had him for a couple years now. He's at about 14 inches maybe larger. But alright thanks I won't bother with another pleco. And is it because their growth rates will be similar?
Lap might be a little longer the ornate was little bent though can't tell.
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1427146761.487365.jpg
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1427146654.853401.jpg

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Alright, the pleco will go, not a problem. And thank you, should I be expecting a certain growth or random since it goes by individual?

lardieleftover

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2014
san diego
Probably pretty similar for the two since it's an ornate. But the lap may pull ahead slightly if it has good genetics, all assuming good water quality and varied food diet :)
They'll be finee

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store