Treefrog sexing

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
Hey guys, I've got an American green tree frog (Hyla cinerea) and I was pretty sure it was a female because it had a very flat, smooth throat area, but lately I've noticed a fold of skin there, which could indicate the presence of a vocal sac... IE, it'd be a male. But the fold seems a bit further back than I would expect a vocal sac to be.

So I guess my question is, do female treefrogs have a completely smooth throat, or do they have any kind of folding there? Or does the presence of a fold mean it's a male?

I could get some pictures if need be, but unfortunately she's in a rubbermaid crate and I would have to move her into something more transparent to get a clear picture, and I tend to avoid touching my amphibians whenever possible. Not to mention she's very nervous and jumpy and I don't wanna play "get the frog off the ceiling".:grinno:

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
How big is "she"? I use to keep this species years ago and the males were always half the size of the female. Of course if you don't have the two side by side it's a bit harder to compare, lol!

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
Here are some pictures I took earlier, they don't show the throat area very well.

IMG_0609.JPGIMG_0610.JPGIMG_0611.JPGIMG_0612.JPGIMG_0613.JPG

Probably in the two inch mark.

I actually really like this species and I'd like to get a few more, but I've since found out they're all wild caught... oops. So I don't think I'll be getting any more.

IMG_0609.JPG

IMG_0610.JPG

IMG_0611.JPG

IMG_0612.JPG

IMG_0613.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store