New member needs some help picking fish and setup!

seabastian

Feeder Fish
Mar 23, 2015
Maastricht, The Netherlands
Hi guys!

Just joined the forum today! I've spent so much time on this forum reading, decided that I needed to sign up. Now I can post some of my own questions like the one below. If you have any ideas or suggestions, feel free to comment.

New member needs help picking out a monsterfish and setting up the tank!

When I was 4 years old I had a goldfish, when I was 12 we had a little pond in the backyard. After that my "fish fever" went away for a couple of years. Recently my girlfriend and I moved in together and decided that we needed an aquarium. I've kept tarantulas, snakes, turtles, dogs and right now I also care for two cats(my girlfriends). So I have some experience with animals, just not so much with fish yet.
I immediately started looking on this forum to find a suitable tankmate. I got overwhelmed by the amount of different fish. Some of the fishes that I liked right away where Snakehead sp., Gar sp., Oscars, Knifefish, Fire Eels, Piranhas and Catfish. I proposed some of these fish to my girlfriend, she wanted to have a more peaceful aquarium instead. So I dropped the idea of having a true monster fish for a while. We now have the following setup:

Aquarium 100cm(40") x 40cm(16") x40cm(16")
Carbon Filter
Heater set at 26C(78,8F)
The tank is fully stable, all levels are good.
Lots of plants, 1 big piece of driftwood and some floating plants

foto 1.JPG
I don't know if the pictures turned out good enough. But on here you can see the current setup containing the following fish:
  • 4x Angelfish
  • 8x Neon Tetras
  • 7x Silverfin Tetras
  • 4x Redeye Tetras
  • 3x guppy male
  • 3x guppy female
  • 2x Plecos
  • 1x Black Ghost Knifefish

Here you have a picture of the biggest Angelfish and a dark picture of my BGK
foto 2.JPG
foto 3.JPG

I also have a small 30 liter (8 gallon) tank with Betta Male and 2 Females. No pictures of these unfortunately:irked:

But I've had enough with these fishes for now, I want to go for something bigger and more even more interesting!
I'm thinking about a new setup, let's say a 120CM(47") x 50CM(20") x50CM(20"). I would like to have a true monster fish in this tank. I'm not sure on what monster fishes I could put in a tank that big. I was thinking about some Channa species, a Spotted gar(knowing I will one day have to transfer to a bigger tank:naughty:) or even an Arowana (these also need a big tank after a while I guess...). What do you think the best option would be for me? I'm not looking for cheap fish or easy to maintain. I'm looking for an intelligent, carnivorous killer machine that will be the eye-catcher of the room. Please give me advice!

foto 1.JPG

foto 2.JPG

foto 3.JPG

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Welcome!

Your definition of big tank doesn't meet the fish you are taking. A 48x20" tank wouldn't hold an arowana for more than a year comfortably.

My best advice would be in the general aquaria there is a sticky of "mini monsters". It lists of ton of mean aggressive and monster fish that don't need monster tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Well before you buy a tank for another fish you need to prepare to buy a tank for the ghost knife. Those guys get pretty big.
http://youtu.be/YweuVYxd9VI

And if you want a "true" monster fish you're gonna need a tank much bigger than than what looks like 80 gallons or so. Try something like a standard 180. 6feetx2feetx2feet.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
There is plenty of really personable, really aggressive cichlids you can keep in a 5' long tank. But they're aren't predators.

seabastian

Feeder Fish
Mar 23, 2015
Maastricht, The Netherlands
I'm willing to up the tanksize if I need to. It's my long term goal anyway. What if I put it this way: I want a bigger tank than my setup that I'm running right now. I would like to be able to house my Knifefish together with some other predators in the same tank. What fish would get along well with the BGK?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store