Uncle Z's 150 Gallon Setup - African Cichlids - Peacocks & Haps

UncleZ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Wi
New to the forum but not new to the hobby. In the process of getting my 150 set up. Please have a look over everything I plan to order to see if I'm missing anything or if you have any suggestions.

Tank : Marineland 150 gallon 72x18x29 special ordered with black silicone and Majesty stand (3 - 4 week lead time ordered 3/13/15)
Light : Beamswork 72" 7500K (currently out of stock on ebay hopefully there aren't discontinued)
Filters: 2X SunSun 404B
Heater: Aqueon Pro 250 Watt

Supplies
  • API master test kit
  • Python no spill
  • Seachem Prime
  • Seachem Matrix 4L (wanted to do Biohome Ultimate but can justify price, YET)
  • Seachem Purigen
  • Tetra Safestart
  • Thermometer
  • Mag float medium
  • Sand #40 (not sure how much but planning on going about 2" deep)
  • Rocks

Things that need to be done
  • Brace floor - House is only 1 year old so I was able to contact the engineer who suggested what needs to be done to support tank since it will be running parallel over only 2 joists. He suggested 2x 3.5" x 9.5" LSL beams underneath tank seems like overkill.
  • Paint Background - Will use cheap acrylic and foam roller.

Setup will be documented on here and on my YouTube channel: Uncle Z Does It All

Podzy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Toronto
Glad to have you here at MFK ! , 150 gallon isn't that heavy compared to what some members do even without bracing. the stories of bigger aquariums in apartment buildings as well. I guess reinforcement won't hurt either way !

I have heard mixed reviews on the sunsun. I have heard they are not as reliable as lets say an Fx 6 or an eheim 2262. It is much more cost effective yes but it does have it's risks. Before you paint your tank have you considered a 3D aquarium backround ? they look absolutely stunning , have a look at my tank journal it has one and just click the link in my Sig.

Also I noticed Purigen on your list of items. in the long run yes it can be good after you have established the beneficial bacteria in your tank.
If you use purigen before hand , it will stall your cycle and take much much longer than it normally would. Hold off on it until your aquarium has finished cycling in 4-8 weeks.

I don't know about tetra safestart , but I do know about Seachem stability. It's an excellent product which is reliable and many other members from MFK use it. I swear by it :)

Hope all goes well !

Jon

UncleZ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Wi
Also I noticed Purigen on your list of items. in the long run yes it can be good after you have established the beneficial bacteria in your tank.
If you use purigen before hand , it will stall your cycle and take much much longer than it normally would. Hold off on it until your aquarium has finished cycling in 4-8 weeks.
Jon
Glad you commented, I would have put it in right away, definitely saved me a headache.

UncleZ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Wi
Spent 1.5 hours (1hr 10mins hold time) on the phone with one of the major "BIG" online retails attempting to use their price match policy and it went horrible. Thought I would be able to just list the lower prices and they match them but it doesn't work like that. They use some process that adds fees and taxes to items to item and then they wind up telling you that their prices are lower. JUST RANTING, but I could have saved 1.5 hours + the time finding the lower prices of my life if I would have just bought the items without calling. Made me pretty mad that so much time was wasted for not even being able to utilize the matching that I decided not to even place my order. Now I have to figured out a new cheapest place to get my supplies from.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Welcome to mfk. I have the same tank and also painted it black. I love safestart great product never failed me. I also suggest not using the purigen until the bb is a little more matured. I have 4 bags in my ac110 the stuff works grrat. I started with an fx6 and an ac110 but recently swapped the fx for a 2262 and couldnt be happier. The flow is ridiculous and holds allot more bio media i will post a vid when i get a chance. Gonna cost more $$$ but the filter is great.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
The spray bar is on the left side of the tank. Pushes all the gunk accross the tank back to the left side. The whole right side of my tank hardly has any fish poop wc are a breeze.

https://youtu.be/h5WvTJmLR8A

UncleZ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Wi
Welcome to mfk. I have the same tank and also painted it black. I love safestart great product never failed me. I also suggest not using the purigen until the bb is a little more matured. I have 4 bags in my ac110 the stuff works grrat. I started with an fx6 and an ac110 but recently swapped the fx for a 2262 and couldnt be happier. The flow is ridiculous and holds allot more bio media i will post a vid when i get a chance. Gonna cost more $$$ but the filter is great.

I was once looking at Eheim filters but the the price and the green fixture color has deterred me. My plan down the line is to build a sump for bio and use the SunSuns for mechanical only.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
They are pricey and i agree that green is horrible good luck with your set up...post pics when you get started

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store