Do You Leave Your Tank Lid Open For a Few Minutes Daily?

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
In order to prevent an increase in temperature as well as to improve air circulation in the tank (because it can get pretty stuffy in there being shut 24/7) I leave the tank lid open for a few minutes daily.

My lid is made of hard plastic and I suppose that can get the temperature warmer in the tank or the air at the surface.

Open your tank lid and bring your face into it (not into the water duh) and if the air feels warm or stuffy then keep it open for awhile.

How many of you do this? Especially those who live in warm tropical countries?

Burbotman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Canada
Nope, my two thermometers maintain my temps, I have glass tops but the cutouts (covered with egg crate) around the filter tubes do "vent" the tank

letstalkfish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2013
Nomad
I'm not convinced that it's a problem in the first place, but if it was, leaving it open for a few minutes daily wouldn't do ****.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
I think the air can get stuffy. Maybe not with your setups. So I keep it open for a few minutes. And my Snakeheads come up to gulp air.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
I read somewhere on here that once 80 or 90% of the top is covered you get vapor lock.

In my opinion if this is true then it would be beneficial to open the lid every day. There's probably a lot of stale air unless your running air pumps.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I keep my lids closed like the gates of mordor.

I only open them for water changes. No joke, I just drop food in and around the holes cut in the plastic strip of the glass tops. The pellets get shot around by the returns or filters.

Maybe I'm just lazy

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

REDTAIL1928

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
I open my lid daily for at least half of the day, no reason for it, just do it. 300 gal 8 foot tank

Sent from my SGH-M819N using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store