Resealing 300 gallon tank

Hopping wolf fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
USA
Hi, I'm trying to seal up my new 300 gallon tank I received from a local fish store. I've stripped the inside clean of any silicone and the past owner of the tank, who owns a fish store, told me that I can just resilicone the inside and it will be good to go. I have done lots of research but have found nothing about people actually sealing a tank this large. Im trying to get some info from people who have resealed a tank this large or larger and the best way to seal it so it will last many years to come. Btw I have sealed tanks before and am quite good at working with silicon. Any information will help, thanks!

Hopping wolf fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
USA
I will be doing a first run soon I need to get my redtail cat in there so he will be happy for a year or two then I plan on building a 550 gallon or larger so he can stay happily housed.

windsor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2015
sheffield UK
Not really a difficult thing to do, especially as you have some experience with using silicone. Most importantly, clean all the areas that will have silicone applied to them with meths. I use this because it evaporates quickly and generally doesn't leave any residue. Then jus apply the new silicone as normal.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
If the tank is leaking you'll want to strip all of the silicone including the bead between the glass. If there is a leak the structural seam is compromised, just redoing the corner bead is like putting a band aid over it. It may work for a while but really shouldn't be a long term solution.

Have you built or repaired any tanks in the past? That is a very large tank for your first if not. You'll want another person helping you lift. Also you will want to use a quality silicone, not GE I or II.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store