Anybody ever eat a fish commonly kept in aquaria?

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
I'm talking fish like cichlids of South/Central American and Africa. I hear around lake Tanganyika, fish like microlepis and frontosa are caught and eaten there by the locals. Same in SA, where they eat tiger shovelnose and red tailed cats, in addition to cichlids like geophagus and satanoperca! Have any of you guys done such a thing? Maybe one of you guys from Florida caught a non native like a PB bass and brought it home to broil?

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
I think tilapia are cichlids

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have eaten plenty of my fish, if injured, or some thing untreatable like a nasty eye or swim bladder infection, in the pot they go.
And I have have spent time in Central America where cichlids like Parachromis and Vieja are considered an every day part of dining. And of course Tilapia, that are African cichlids

and a cople pics from Panama a few months ago

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Though I don't do it often any more, since I find dressing fish too time consuming and a pain in the arse, I love fried sunfish. One sunfish that won't ever see a frying pan though is, Rocky, my pet pumpkinseed my son caught last summer.

Reactions: Matteus

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
The thought has crossed my mind but I don't think I ever will eat any of my fish.I do have a relative or two who I would not trust around my fish if I'm away on vacay though...I actually checked here to see if it was another Taker thread.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store