Poison Dart Frogs

jrodkinsey

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
USA
www.instagram.com
Just wanted to share my two dart tanks. The white guys are phyllobates terribilis (Mint) and the greenish blue guy is a Dendrobates tinctorius (Green Sip). So much different than your basic frog being that these guy are diurnal and fairly active. Nothing to elaborate but just figured I would share. Anyone else keep darts?

unnamed.jpg

20150324_092345.jpg

20150324_092543.jpg

20150324_092613.jpg

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
fantastic terrariums; I love them.
The idea of keeping these frogs has been on and off in my mind for a few years: haven´t done it yet, but know I will in the future.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Great looking setups, and while i've always wanted to keep some, having enough wingless fruit flies around is a no go for me... plus the maintenance on keeping them just puts me off..

jrodkinsey

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
USA
www.instagram.com
Thanks, everyone! Eh, the wingless fruit flys are not that bad to me. I hardly ever see any escapees. In my personal opinion, these guys are a lot easier than a fresh or salt tank. As long as you have the money to spend in the beginning to set these guys up right, the maintenance isn't bad at all. They have definitely been a very interesting animal for me.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I absolutely love dart frogs! Always wanted a set up but family, home, and too many fish tanks are already keeping me at full capacity in terms of time. I don't know if I agree with you on dart frogs being easier in terms of maintenance than freshwater fishkeeping......I can go on vacation and leave my fish unattended/unfed for 2 weeks.

How about a full tank shot?

jrodkinsey

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
USA
www.instagram.com
Thanks, guys!

As long as you have kept your frogs well fed and put a little more fruit flies in before you leave, you can go on vacation with no worries. Between the extra flies and microfauna, they will have plenty of stuff to forge around for. I've never done it, but I have heard of people putting a peeled banana in the setup a few weeks prior to their vacation and this will produce some extra flies. Haha I don't know, to me, they just aren't as difficult as some would think. Again, I think the main thing comes down to making sure the enclosure is 100% before the frogs do go in there.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Thanks, guys!

As long as you have kept your frogs well fed and put a little more fruit flies in before you leave, you can go on vacation with no worries. Between the extra flies and microfauna, they will have plenty of stuff to forge around for. I've never done it, but I have heard of people putting a peeled banana in the setup a few weeks prior to their vacation and this will produce some extra flies. Haha I don't know, to me, they just aren't as difficult as some would think. Again, I think the main thing comes down to making sure the enclosure is 100% before the frogs do go in there.
The guy I'm talking about always had pieces of banana in his tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jrodkinsey

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
USA
www.instagram.com
Here are some more full tank shots. Please excuse the mess. These guys are in my office and I'm always sorting through paper. Also, please forgive more poor picture taking abilities. 20150325_093729.jpg20150325_093747.jpg

20150325_093729.jpg

20150325_093747.jpg

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
What do you do for heat and humidity?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store