Will substrate affect filtration in STINGRAY tank?

kapilan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2015
Singapore
Hey guys,

Planning to house 2 BD rays in my 300 gallon tank and I am planning to add sand as my substrate. 300 gallon being the bare minimum for rays, I don't want the substrate to affect the filtration process. Will adding substrate make the maintenance harder such as siphoning out the debris and stuff? Please advise, thank you!

tommyfc3s

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2013
New Jersey
usually waste and what not will sit right on top of fine sand and can be vacuumed out by just skimming the top of the sand with a siphon. i'd choose sand over gravel because of that reason as i hate having to vacuum out gravel. also waste is a bit less noticable on lighter color sand as opposed to dark sand. i assume you'll be using a sump filter on the 300, i run a sump on my 110 with sand and haven't had a problem with it at all or even gotten any sand down in the sump when it gets kicked up for that matter (probably since my tank is 32" tall tho).

raubiy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2015
♛ Slovenija ♛
Barebotom tank change my hoby alot. Its 100 positive things.
I was looking king of diy videos on youtube. He was talking about stringrays and whay is his aquarium barebotom.
I copy that and now all my tanks are like that. Never have any problem. Fish don't injure on decoration any more.
Agin its 100 positive things.
6 Months now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store