Blackwater setup

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
Does anyone keep a backwater setup? I have hard water and keep mostly SA cichlids so have been making a peat moss "tea" extract that I add to the tank every week which helps soften the water. What do other people do if you have hard water out of the tap?

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I use indian almond leaves as well as Kent black water extract. Unfortunately my water is hard and neither will move thebneedle for me. Its mostly for looks. I LOVE blackwater tanks.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Black water extract use mostly for look and making fish feel safer in that environment, you have to use chemical to buff your water OR if you want to do it nature by add ton of driftwoods, extreme heavy planted plants then your water will soften in few weeks, the problem is that most ppls do very large water change each time so pretty much all water parameters will be back almost to normal after that lol
*I knew most folks will disagree with me but I have 1 of my heavy planted tank with fishes that I never do water change for years (at least 4 years now) and only top off the water that lost cause evaporation each week (I add trace water element 1 time a week).

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
Black water extract use mostly for look and making fish feel safer in that environment, you have to use chemical to buff your water OR if you want to do it nature by add ton of driftwoods, extreme heavy planted plants then your water will soften in few weeks, the problem is that most ppls do very large water change each time so pretty much all water parameters will be back almost to normal after that lol
*I knew most folks will disagree with me but I have 1 of my heavy planted tank with fishes that I never do water change for years (at least 4 years now) and only top off the water that lost cause evaporation each week (I add trace water element 1 time a week).
The extract that I make with peat moss (using a coffee urn) replaces about 10-15% of the water each week with a large water change and does change the water parameters, softens the water, reduces the TDS, PH, etc. Though I agree that commercial extracts don't do anything except add nutrients and provide tannins that help with SA sensitive eyes. I have tried them. I do think it is possible to reduce water changes if you can get a good hydroponics system working, but you still need to introduce nutrients into the water somehow.

I also use adler cones and oak leaves which help a little bit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store