Motoro size and tank size?

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
I know motoros can reach almost 3' (disc size), but I was wondering how many specimens are actually getting close to that size?
I have very rarely seen photos of aquarium motoros much bigger than 24" in disc size.
So to all Motoro owners, how would you analyze the growth of your rays after they hit 24"? Slow? Very slow?
Are they usually stopping at around 24" when captive?

I'm an owner of 2 motoros, larger one around 12". This is the indoor pond I will be building, sadly cant be 4' all the way across, car needs to be able to fit into the garage.
Very bad drawing of the plans...

Won't this be sufficient for a very long time?

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
That size will be sufficient for quite some time yes. Make sure you have PLENTY of flow because the irregular shape may lead to dead spots in the tank at the narrow end which may allow crap to accumulate and cause trouble for the water chemistry

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
That size will be sufficient for quite some time yes. Make sure you have PLENTY of flow because the irregular shape may lead to dead spots in the tank at the narrow end which may allow crap to accumulate and cause trouble for the water chemistry

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
There will be plenty of filtration and water circulation will be more than sufficient.

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
i was recently informed of a huge 3' motoro that kept outgrowing its tank and ended up in a huge custom pond. i dont think they all grow so big but most dont get chance.
the biggest marbles ive had were no bigger than 2' disc, maybe a marble would be better suited. there are a fair few larger veriety available for a good price now too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store