The Official North American Native Fish Collecting Thread

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
There's an official thread for fishing, I've made one for diving, and I think the collection of native fish whether you keep them or not (whether by seine, dipnet, castmet, minnow trap, microfishing, or any other method) deserves a thread as well! So post any pictures, videos, or experiences you have collecting North American native fish here!

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I've been out collecting a few times this year already but today was the first successful trip. Went over to a local small feeder creek and started out with them standard fishing, wound up with two 4-5" chubs. After that I seined for about 20 minutes. In total, I caught about 10 Redside Dace, 15-20 Silverjaw Minnows, 10 Bluntnose Minnows, 10 Blacknose Dace, 5 Longnose Dace, 15-20 Creek Chubs, 2 White Suckers, 10 Johnny Darters, and 1 Central Stoneroller. Kept 3 redside dace, 3 silverjaw minnows, and 1 central Stoneroller.

Central Stoneroller (Campostoma anomalum)
View attachment 1066390

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
I was supposed to go friday but the trip was called off, I'll keep track of this thread and post next time i go!

Duckman77

Piranha
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
Aurora, IL
I got out yesterday for the first time this year. I was going mostly for collecting sand and rocks for a new tank setup, but of course I brought the nets for a little bit of sampling.

Sorry, no pics. A little early in the season, so I didn't catch much besides darters. Here is the list of species I caught though:

Rainbow darters (lots of them, including the largest I have ever caught..all in breeding dress)
Slenderhead darter (first time I have caught these I think)
Banded darter
Johnny darter
Stoneroller (lots of them, one must have been 10-11")
Crayfish (every net had 6-12)

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I haven't been out yet this year, its to damn cold up here haha. I'll post when I hit slippery rock creek in a few weeks or so for sure. I'm going fishing today, but no way am I wading in haha

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Neoprene chest waders are standard equipment this time of year. lol
hahaha for sure! I'm still not a fan of the frozen arms up to my elbows feeling if I have to get my hands in the water hahaha

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Was out yesterday. Water was in the high 40's and raging fast, though very clear. Caught a half dozen Rhinichthys sps. and a new species I've found to the area, a Central Stoneroller. Kept nothing since I was searching for Darters.

Central Stoneroller (Campostoma anomalum):
image.jpg

image.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store